1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How thick do you keep your shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lswatson111304, Dec 7, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    In the coop..if you use shavings?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    6" To 8"

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    oh wow, I suck. I've just kept them at about 2 inches. I had no idea. I just hate that when the small door to the coop is open they come falling out. Guess we should have designed that better. And I guess I should go give them more! LOL [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    During the summer - 2 inches deep. During winter when we see temps down to zero and below - 6 to 8 inches deep. It really helps keep the coop warmer.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Quote:I use those plastic drain pans you use under outdoor faucets in front of the pop holes inside. It slows down the tracking of wood shavings out of the coop.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yah, remembering to make the hole for the pop door higher on the wall really helps. You might be able to put in short, wooden barrier walls back inside the doorway. That way, the chickens hop over the "wall" into a sort of foyer, and then walk out the pop door.

7. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Quote:Good Idea! Chicken Foyer! LOL I might try that tomorrow. I ended up dumping the rest of the shavings into the coop so they can snuggle up in it. I'm in Texas, so it doesn't get unbearably cold, but they are such tiny animals and well, I get cold walking out to see them! LOL
    Checked on them this evening and they are pretty snuggled up. Well 4 of them. 1 is snuggled in her nest box, and the others are roosting! I love these stinkin birds!

8. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Dunno.

Chicken Foyer sounds like something that might show up on a plate, or introduced as something new on one of those competition TV battles of the chefs.

If you have a raised floor n your coop, and your chickens are contained in there, they'll certainly scratch up any litter to keep the toesies warm.

My own coop is of common wood-frame construction. a simple two-by-twice as a bottom plate above the floor.

Whether for warmth in the winter or for absorbency any time of year, 4"-8", as your chickens will arrange it to suit themselves, could be hard to contain.

Not hard at all. I nailed up some 1x4s inside the studding of my various doors. What spills over to the point that it might interfere with the operation of the doors is easily swiped away by hand.

9. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    6 inches at least and I scoop daily and top up when needed. I use Swift horse bedding as it's finer

10. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by