How tiny really?

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
Good morning (here anyway),
My daughter has a beautiful self blue OEGB roo. He is totally tame, very friendly and puts up with all kinds of nonsense from her.
Blueberry is the tiniest OEGB roo I have every seen and is much smaller than our younger black OEGB.
Anyway my daughter has been begging for a Serama.
I'm having a really hard time visualizing how small they are. Does anyone have a picture of a Serama next to an OEGB, d'Uccle, or other small bantam to help me visualize what we would be dealing with?

I don't have pictures of my serama by other breeds, but maybe these pictures will help. The first pictures show a little family residing in the kitchen. The rooster is 11 ounces and the hen is 9 ounces. I have a few hens that are between 6-8 ounces. I know of no other chicken breed that makes a better pet than serama and I have owned numerous breeds over the years.

a1aa.jpg
aa11.jpg
aassa.jpg
aasss.jpg

We had the hen below in the house last year. The first picture shows the hen brooding in an overturned flowerpot. The nest inside was a cereal bowl.
aaamomoneggs.jpg
AA.jpg

When reading about serama, it will always say, "The smallest breed of chicken in he world". This statement isn't strictly true. Serama CAN produce the smallest chicken in the world, but as a breed a person can find many that are similar or larger than OEGB. So if you get one for your daughter keep this in mind. As a fairly new breed serama have no standard in size and numerous breeders prefer bigger stock as small birds are claimed to be less fertile-even sterile. It is true that the smaller serama do not produce as fast as the larger birds. With my small serama seven eggs to a clutch is the average and I'm lucky if 50% hatch.

aasmallestchick.jpg
serama.jpg

Below is a little cockerel that's three months old It's pretty obvious that he will be a tiny bird when he's mature.
aaitz.jpg
aaitz1.jpg

Below is Pablo, my special pet, who is quite the character. He lives in a tub in the kitchen only going outside on good days to visit the hens. My chair is right beside Pablo's tub. He often flies to the tub's edge and lowers his head to get a face rub or neck scratch. In the picture he has hopped down on my knee; in all the time he has been in the kitchen, Pablo has never gone to the floor.
aaapabonknee.jpg

This is Frizzy who went broody yesterday; so small
aaafrizzy.jpg
and delicate that she can't brood more than six of her own eggs.

It's obvious that I am gone on serama.

Your daughter couldn't find a better pet in chickens. Get her one under six weeks of age. At around a month old they are very easy to tame. I like the frizzle serama the best.

In my Avatar is a Serama. Cats were not fully grown there yet.
Here is my current Serama. I have 2 .
IMG_20190712_180148871_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190719_191759196_HDR.jpg

The 2 small cuties in the back are Seramas, The 2 small in front are Old English Game hens. (Silver Duckwing)
The all White, and next to Black and White feathered are Polish LF.
The Red is a RIR.
Here is another closeup not very well focused,
seramas.PNG

Seramas are common in 3 sizes. A, B, C. mine are B

I have no comparison pictures but an OEG bantam is about 600 grams and a serama is 250-350 grams. So about half the size.
There are interesting comments about size and the ability to produce hatchable eggs on the top of the following page.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sri/BRKSri.html
That's very helpful, thank you. Several of the pictures show roos next to drink cans and they look to be about chest high to them. Loved the picture of the babies next to the 9V battery!
I'm starting to think that the OEGB roo we have is
Can you weigh your OEGB on a food scale?
I have ordered one from Amazon. Waiting for it's arrival.

I don't have pictures of my serama by other breeds, but maybe these pictures will help. The first pictures show a little family residing in the kitchen. The rooster is 11 ounces and the hen is 9 ounces. I have a few hens that are between 6-8 ounces. I know of no other chicken breed that makes a better pet than serama and I have owned numerous breeds over the years.

View attachment 2040109View attachment 2040110View attachment 2040111View attachment 2040113

We had the hen below in the house last year. The first picture shows the hen brooding in an overturned flowerpot. The nest inside was a cereal bowl.
View attachment 2040115View attachment 2040116

When reading about serama, it will always say, "The smallest breed of chicken in he world". This statement isn't strictly true. Serama CAN produce the smallest chicken in the world, but as a breed a person can find many that are similar or larger than OEGB. So if you get one for your daughter keep this in mind. As a fairly new breed serama have no standard in size and numerous breeders prefer bigger stock as small birds are claimed to be less fertile-even sterile. It is true that the smaller serama do not produce as fast as the larger birds. With my small serama seven eggs to a clutch is the average and I'm lucky if 50% hatch.

View attachment 2040132View attachment 2040140

Below is a little cockerel that's three months old It's pretty obvious that he will be a tiny bird when he's mature.
View attachment 2040204View attachment 2040205

Below is Pablo, my special pet, who is quite the character. He lives in a tub in the kitchen only going outside on good days to visit the hens. My chair is right beside Pablo's tub. He often flies to the tub's edge and lowers his head to get a face rub or neck scratch. In the picture he has hopped down on my knee; in all the time he has been in the kitchen, Pablo has never gone to the floor.
View attachment 2040211

This is Frizzy who went broody yesterday; so small View attachment 2040214and delicate that she can't brood more than six of her own eggs.

It's obvious that I am gone on serama.

Your daughter couldn't find a better pet in chickens. Get her one under six weeks of age. At around a month old they are very easy to tame. I like the frizzle serama the best.

In my Avatar is a Serama. Cats were not fully grown there yet.
Here is my current Serama. I have 2 .
View attachment 2040207
View attachment 2040208
The 2 small cuties in the back are Seramas, The 2 small in front are Old English Game hens. (Silver Duckwing)
The all White, and next to Black and White feathered are Polish LF.
The Red is a RIR.
Here is another closeup not very well focused,
View attachment 2040216
Seramas are common in 3 sizes. A, B, C. mine are B

Do either one of you mind sharing where you got your Seramas? I'm mostly finding hatching eggs. I don't mind a bit of travel or shipping, but I'm having trouble finding a breeder. We aren't looking to show, just enjoy a pet or two.

Back
Top Bottom