How to a Paint Tin Coop - Also, What Color(s)?

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
When our coop was first built, the tin looked good. Now, it is starting to rust a little and need paint. Is tin a surface that you need to use a primer on (such as Kilz) in order to paint? Also, what color should I paint it? What about the roof?

6809_dsc01954.jpg

(In background)

I'd use a oil base enamel paint that you can get from a farm store designed for outdoor machinery. It's expensive----but it's not, cause it lasts longer then the Wally-World or paint shop bargain brands. As for color, if there is no shade for your coop during the day, then I'd use a gloss white for heat reflection, otherwise I'd use a color I like, I prefer earth tones that blend into the environment all things being equal.

Paint the roof with the white rubbery stuff that they use in Mobile homes. It will seal the nail and screw holes, and reflect the heat. The silver stuff just acts like a heat sink in summer, and does not hold heat in the winter.

I had the same problem as well. I got a 5 gallon of primer and they were able to tint it to the color I wanted. The vinyl on my house is tan so they were able to tint the primer right on the same mark for me. That way I didnt have to worry about primering then painting. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom