How to acclimate ducklings to cold weather??

Percipen

Songster
Nov 2, 2020
SE Michigan
I live in SE Michigan, temps in 20's and 30's this time of year. I have six ducklings that are 7.5 weeks old. How/when can I start acclimating them to the cold weather so that I can integrate them into my outdoor flock? I was thinking of putting them out for a few hours a day and gradually increase the time until they are out the same amount of time as the outdoor flock, but I don't want to do this wrong and have them get sick or worse. Any advise would be helpful!! Thanks in advance

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest USA
I live in SE Michigan, temps in 20's and 30's this time of year. I have six ducklings that are 7.5 weeks old. How/when can I start acclimating them to the cold weather so that I can integrate them into my outdoor flock? I was thinking of putting them out for a few hours a day and gradually increase the time until they are out the same amount of time as the outdoor flock, but I don't want to do this wrong and have them get sick or worse. Any advise would be helpful!! Thanks in advance
I think that’s a good idea. 7 1/2 weeks is a good age. Do you have an insulated coop or anything like that?

Percipen

Songster
Nov 2, 2020
SE Michigan
I think that’s a good idea. 7 1/2 weeks is a good age. Do you have an insulated coop or anything like that?
Our outdoor flock free ranges during the day and sleep in their house which is lined with straw. I was planning on putting the babies in their own fenced area with a shelter (not insulated) when I put them outside. Once they permanently move outside they'll free range with the others and sleep in the duck house at night. Should I line the babies shelter with straw too?

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest USA
Our outdoor flock free ranges during the day and sleep in their house which is lined with straw. I was planning on putting the babies in their own fenced area with a shelter (not insulated) when I put them outside. Once they permanently move outside they'll free range with the others and sleep in the duck house at night. Should I line the babies shelter with straw too?
In my opinion I think you should, but it’s up to you. It doesn’t have to be a lot of straw. You could put a heating plate in there as well. I wouldn’t suggest a heat lamp or anything like that though because its a fire hazard

Percipen

Songster
Nov 2, 2020
SE Michigan
In my opinion I think you should, but it’s up to you. It doesn’t have to be a lot of straw. You could put a heating plate in there as well. I wouldn’t suggest a heat lamp or anything like that though because its a fire hazard
I think I'll go with the straw. I'll use it eventually anyway. Thanks so much for your help. Happy New Year!

Top Bottom