How to add a rooster? / Sexing my chicks? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blackjack1392, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Blackjack1392

Blackjack1392 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    So sometime in the middle of january of this year, I bought 6 barred rock pullets (they are suppose to be all pullets, still not 100% sure about that tho). They are now 54 days old, and so far they are doin great. I plan to start letting them out of thier coop/run for 2-3 hours in the evening when i get home from work, and maybe all day on the weekends, but I am not always going to be able to/want to just sit and watch them for 2-3 hours, so i want to add a rooster to my flock, but i have a few questions.

1. Where can I buy just 1 barred rock rooster? I am pretty sure I do not live near any hatcheries etc. . . (jacksonville fl)
    2. Does it matter if there is an age difference between my pullets and the roo? If not, should I get one thats older/larger or younger/smaller? <--Only if I cant find one the same size and age.
    3. How exactly would I go about adding him in there? Do I just open the door and put him straight in there?

thanks in advance for your responses :)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, be really sure you don't already have a rooster. You ought to be able to spot him dead on, if you have one.

Pullets at that age, are dark, almost black with more white dots than true barring. They don't have their big red combs or red wattles yet either. They don't get those until around 13 or 14 weeks of age.

If you have a rooster? He'll be the guy with the red wattles showing and a junior sized red comb. He'll stand a bit more upright and have an over all lighter appearance, as his bright white bars and a silver/charcoal background give him away.

If in doubt? Post pics. Let's make sure you really do have an all pullet flock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Then, if you do get a cockerel, look for one as old or slightly older. It's best. They're very easy to get. Folks get males by mistake and have to re-home them. Craigs list is often a good source.

However, THIS is a must. You'll NOT just throw him into your flock. You'll want to have him in a dog kennel or super large crate for 3 weeks to watch him for signs of disease. You'd probably want to dust him for lice/mites too. No sense taking any risk on that front either.

4. Blackjack1392

Blackjack1392 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ok well here are pics of my 6 chickens, I tried to make them as clear as possible. A few of them are not the greatest. They are suppose to be all pullets, but im not 100% sure, hopefully a few of you more experienced people can help me out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by