How to add on to or convert bantam coop for full size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by san415, Aug 5, 2009.

1. san415

san415 Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hi and thanks for the help. I had 2 pullets in the spring, one was sneezing right away and didn't make it, the other started to crow. So since I cant have a rooster in this area, once my neighbors complained, and I cant blame them, he had to go. Since we couldn't re-home him or give him away, I paid my vet to put him down. So they were bantams and neither I nor my granddaughter want the heartbreak of a second rooster I got regular size pullets. Hope they stay hens! The coop I have is a small store bought one for rabbits, that wont work for the 3 I have now. But I hate to just stick it in the garage attic. Anyone shore up and add to a small coop? They will be against the garage side, so I can build something with the garage as part. And they will free range in the fenced yard during the day. That worked great for chickyRoo. If I need to I will clip the primary feathers like I do my parrots. They are still in my master bathroom for 1 or 2 more weeks. Also I live in Michigan so cold winters.

2. Renee

Renee Songster

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Is the rabbit hutch big enough for the three hens to roost in at night?

If it is, you could insulate it and attach a large covered run.

I would build a bigger coop and keep the rabbit hutch next to the new coop as a chicken hospital, place to keep young chickens if you get more, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I have wished for a place to isolate sick chickens!

Renee

3. san415

san415 Songster

May 7, 2009
    Thanks Renee,
    That is a great idea, then I wont feel like its a waste to have. Also who knows might need bantam chicks next spring? AS my DH gets more used to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: