How to add one 5 wk old chick to existing flock of 5 wk olds?

Cupcake_

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
I have a flock of eight 5 week old chicks (all hens), the breeds are Barred Rock, Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex. I’m adding a 5 week old Black Copper Maran (hen). They’ll of course be the same age/size so what’s the best way to introduce her? Are 5 week olds pretty accepting since they’re so young? Any tips?

Depends. Sometimes they all just run around crazy like and nobody is overly picked on.

But sometimes they've already bonded a bit at 5 weeks and can pick on a newcomer a bit. If that is overly zealous, then that of course causes stress in the new chick.

You can put the chick in and observe. If all goes well...then there's your answer. If not, then take your most mild mannered chick and bond it with the new chick in a separate brooder. Then in a week, introduce both of them back into the bigger group.

Chances are at 5 weeks, there will be a little chasing around, but overall they'll chase each other around pretty equally.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Depends. Sometimes they all just run around crazy like and nobody is overly picked on.

But sometimes they've already bonded a bit at 5 weeks and can pick on a newcomer a bit. If that is overly zealous, then that of course causes stress in the new chick.

You can put the chick in and observe. If all goes well...then there's your answer. If not, then take your most mild mannered chick and bond it with the new chick in a separate brooder. Then in a week, introduce both of them back into the bigger group.

Chances are at 5 weeks, there will be a little chasing around, but overall they'll chase each other around pretty equally.

My thoughts.
LofMc
This is fantastic advice! Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Back
Top Bottom