1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to "Age" Pots and Pans?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Dec 30, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    By wanting to "age" them, I assume you mean season them as one does with cast iron? I do not think they need it, but if they do, instructions should be included.

Congrats, and happy cooking! What time do I show up for dinner?

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    haha! Don't know yet...haven't even made breakfast!

Yes, I'm sorry "season" would be the right term. I've always heard of "aging" the cookware. I think of "seasoning" with those non-stick/ cast iron skillets.

(Is scared to open the box...because then I know I will have to get rid of my knick-knack "Dollar-Tree" pots and pans...)

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Hmmm....... to "age" pots and pans.........give 'em to a 2 year old with a hammer.

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    lol! Nice! Whelp, I'm not waiting 2 years to have the 2 year old...but I did open the box and found out:

1. You can only use the pots/pans on medium or low heat. Anything above will discolor and void the warranty.
    2. Use warm soapy water, dry with a cloth and then use a small amount of oil on medium heat. Once cool, wash the pot/pan in warm soapy water again and allow to dry.

Ta-da...seasoned!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG][​IMG]

They don't need seasoned, or aged, when they have a non- stick coating.

7. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    yea we just got some really nice pans too. and even on medium they convert heat so well that medium is too high. i just clean them and wipe them down with a paper towel and a little olive oil. never use the dishwasher it makes them look funny and will also void the warranty. we handwash all of our good pans. I have had to adjust my cooking times and heats so much with these new pans its crazy. but they are sooooooo nice.

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep, zero dishwashing for these puppies! They won't be anywhere near the dishwasher, which is hard for me...I do like my magic machine.

birdaholic, that's what I thought, but without doing it, it'll void the warranty. Plus, his mom will know if I don't...they are the same ones that she has and she's had hers for 5 years so far, look brand new!

9. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oh and P.S. I followed your other post but never got a chance to say it but congrats and I am loving your avitar.

10. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Hard anodized cookware does not need seasoning like cast iron does. the non stick coating is part of the pan. They make nice cookware- heavy enough without being hard to lift.

They can take some occasional metal utensils- for example, gently using a fish spatula for delicate fish or eggs, but mostly you should use plastic or wood. Most manufacturers will say metal is ok, and to some extent it is, since the newer non stick coatings are far superior to the older ones, but they can still scratch. No dishwasher! Again, some will say it's ok, but constant exposure to the strong detergents is not going to do them any good. Short preheating on high heat will not harm them, but they do conduct heat so well, you probably won't need to cook on more than medium. Also, never heat a dry non stick on high. They can (at extremely high temps that most home stoves don't hit, but you never know) give off toxic fumes. Always put a little oil or butter or liquid of some sort in the bottom. Preheat only for brief periods. Take care of them and they should serve you well!

(Just as a side note- I worked over 10 years at a JC Penney Home Store, did bridal registry and all that. Learned a lot about cookware, housewares, bedding, etc. Enjoy your new cook ware!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by