How to alleviate chickens fever?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoodchick, Sep 22, 2016.

1. hoodchick

hoodchick New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Hernando, MS
    Let me first say we are new to having chickens. Recently we rescued 3 from a farm that didn't quite take care of them. One of the birds was in a small pen with 4 roosters with no tail feathers and was super skinny. We didn't realize new chickens needed to be quarantined before introducing them to the rest of the flock so we put them in a smaller cage in the pen until they were all kosher with one another. Well the small chicken Pie Pie was always very different and picked on, but super sweet like a dog so we attributed the rejection to that. Not realizing she was sick this whole time we watched her tail feathers grow back and never realized she wasn't gaining weight. Long story short, she took a turn for the worse the other day and I immediately took her to the vet. She only weighs 1.6 lbs and has a fever of 108 [​IMG] I'm so sad and have been in tears about it. He said she has severe coccidiosis and was emaciated. He prescribed her antibiotics and we have made a chicken triage in the garage. She has bouts where she feels better and is almost a whole new chicken but then goes down hill again and won't open her eyes. She started to get so bad yesterday and not eating or drinking so I took her back to the vet and he gave us a feeding tube and upped her antibiotics. She's seemed to do fine and after each feeding with the tube has stood up and finally ate and drank more on her own. She ate more last night than I've seen her eat in 3 days, but this morning she's seemed to be extremely lethargic again.

It's really breaking my heart and I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster.

My (maybe obvious) question is: is it normal/okay for her to just sleep this way bc she's so weak and sick AND is there anything I can do to allieviate her fever? Maybe have her sit in a tub of warm cool water?

Thank you so much in advance

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Lots of water and maybe a baby aspirin (81 mg). I have cut up larger dose tablets before if you don't have 81 mg size. They usually swallow it if you place it in their beak and dip the beak in water. Actually, based on the size, I would dose at about 40 mg. I use 81 mg on LF chickens/any bird over 3 pounds. Just remember to take a deep breath, and know that chickens are pretty darn resilient. Good luck!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The normal range for a chickens' temperature is between 104 and 107 degrees. 108 is not something to be significantly concerned with. It just means that her body is fighting off an infection. The antibiotics should deal with it within a few days. Supportive care should be your primary objective. Unmedicated chick starter, watered down into a slurry is good for weak birds. It also helps keep them hydrated. And make sure her water has vitamins and electrolytes mixed in. You can also try feeding hard boiled egg yolks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by