How to ask a neighbor If you can look at their chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

How would you ask a nebor if you could see their chickens? The reason I'm asking is because I want to ask a neighbor if I could see their chickens so maybe I could buy a few of theirs. I want to see them before I inquire that i would like to buy.

2. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    When you see them outside, just ask them about their chickens - most of us are VERY happy to talk about them! We have our flock in the front yard, so it's not uncommon for people to stop by when we're outside to look at them. We have one neighbor who is interested in having a small flock; when he's ready, we'll sell him chicks or hens, whichever he'd rather have. [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would just say "Hi, I understand you keep chickens. Is there any possibility I could see them?"

Keep in mind that the neighbor may be reluctant if she is concerned about bio-security and don't take offense if she would rather you didn't.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OHMYGOODNESS! I am always DELIGHTED when somebody wants to see any of my birds! You just go ahead and wave when you see the neighbor outside, and ask if you can come over!

They will be happy to show you!
    Sharon

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do you have chickens yourself? If so, that is a great way to start a conversation. When they are outside, stop by and say "I see you have chickens and wanted to stop in to say hello to a fellow chicken keeper!" That should be enough to lead into a conversation and then you could ask if you could see them.

6. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My neighbor got some chickens in March of this year. And every day as I drove to work, I would slow down to see them (luckily I live on a back country road with little traffic)

One day I was in a good mood, the day was very pretty (this was about a month ago) and I decided... I'm going to go to her house.

So, the problem was I didn't know exactly who the chickens belonged to because there were 3 houses side by side on that piece of property, and every day the chickens were in all 3 of the peoples' yards.

I stopped at the first house and knocked, and no one was home. So, I walked to the second house and a man was home. He said he wasn't sure who the chickens belonged to either, but he didn't have a problem with them in his yard, and he said the lady at the farthest house was home.

So I walked over there and I knocked on her door, but no one answered. I waited and as I was leaving, a dog came running at me. At first I was scared because dogs kind of frighten me, but he was bringing me his toy for me to throw. That's when I saw her, and we scared each other but it was kind of funny. And I said "I'm sorry to bother you, but I love to look at your chickens and was wondering if you were busy, would you mind me taking pictures of them?"

And now we are friends, and she gives me eggs, and she's helping me get my own coop and flock started.

From what I've learned from her and this forum is that owners of pet chickens love to show them off and get very happy when others come to visit!!!

I know I would!

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Be. Very. Very. Careful.

You could end up spending hours looking at and talking about chickens. [​IMG]

Cause I know I can spend hours once someone mutters the word "Chicken".

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I resemble this!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by