How to baby chicks to go in at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksR4Me, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a hen with 12...2day old babies. She took them out into the covered run today and they have been out all day and still out there. They are all in a corner under the mama hen. She clearly wanted them to go inside but they didn't go in fast enough to please her so she would come back out. It's dry tonight but it may rain tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get them to go in? Thanks

2. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    You may have to pick them all up and carry them in but I would certainly get them inside.

3. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I will try to get them in by hand then. Should I not let them go out tomorrow?

4. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Thanks.. I got them all inside and they are settling back down. Should I not let them out tomorrow?

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I would let mama take care of them during the day but if she has trouble at night getting them in you may have to help her out a bit. It won't take them long to learn.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have a mamma hen that has 2 half grown guineas and 4 baby guinea keets, the mamma hen and the 2 older guineas will go in the hutch but the babies can't fly so I have to catch all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by