How to bandage a duck

xke4

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Any suggestions on how to bandage a duck's neck so that he doesn't pick his sutures out? He was found today with a 5" laceration on the side of his neck running lengthways. We think that he had an altercation with a hawk as there is one hanging around and has already got my favourite duck. This one had his wound sutured and keeps trying to pick at it with his bill. I have refurbished a chicken apron by shortening the bib and the straps but it sure looks makeshift. Wrapping with vet-rap was not successful.Thanks, Carolyn

Take a cardboard paper towel roll. slice it longways put it around the ducks neck and duct tape it back together. That should protect him from picking them out. Also you may want to look into getting some bluecoat from your local feed store. We have foudn it works really well and since it is spray on it is really convienent. Hope this helps
smile.png

Get one of those collars they put on dogs after a surgery. One for a small dog will work. Just don't injure his dignity by laughing where he can hear you.

You can also use something called Bandguard that you can get from your vet. The back of the tube reads "An unpleasant tasting preparation for application on bandages, casts, tape and other wound dressings to deter self-mutilation." The vet gave it to me to use on my Newfie when she got spaid and was trying to chew her stitches. Here's a picture of it.

100_1903.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. That toilet paper roll idea would have been good except the wound is down closer to his shoulder. Has anyone used a collar on a duck before? the ones that we have at work look too big so I think I might go to the pet store and look to see if they make a kitten one. Carolyn

You can use a paper plate. Just cut a circle in the middle the size of the neck and a slit from the circle to the outside edge of the plate. After you get the duck in there, duct tape the plate shut.

Back
Top Bottom