How to bathe a severe scissor beak chick that can't preen?

Bevhill10

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi all,
I'm a new chicken mom and one our six chicks, a light brahma, has developed a severe scissor beak, she is not able to preen herself effectively (she really really tries) and is getting quite dirty. How should I clean her? Any help would be appreciated. She is 4 weeks old at this point and a sweet girl. And advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Beverly

Last edited:
Maybe the way people clean their birds for show? Just maybe not to that excess? What I mean is clean her with soap and water, if she needs it, then add an oil to her feathers. I think glycerin is used in show but I’m not sure. I’ve never shown before. But I have bathed a dirty bird or two. A little bit of soap goes a long way. Since she can’t add oils back to her feathers you can do it for her with a little oil.

I had the same problem. I used a clean and dry tooth brush and I preened her feathers to get any food stuck to them off.

Just curious and a lil off topic... Does she eat well, or do you have to do something different for her?

BTW: I love that you're helping her live her best chicken life.

Just curious and a lil off topic... Does she eat well, or do you have to do something different for her?

BTW: I love that you're helping her live her best chicken life.
She gets crumble mixed with water and baby chick grit twice a day in a raised dog bowl. I was also adding exact baby hand feeding powder to the mash when she was falling behind in the growth department. Now I add a layer supplement to mash. I wasn’t sure if she would lay eggs but she is and seems to be doing good with what we are doing. She is messy and it takes awhile but she fills her crop! She goes in circles around the bowl to get the right angle to get food. We call it her dinner dance lol.

I LOVE THIS!!!! I'm so happy she is doing good. I have one and I just use warm water and preen her while she is in the bath. Also got a blow dryer without tephlon and dry her. I don't use ANY chemicals to bathe her. It's not good for them no matter if it's made for chickens or not. Just warm water and preen while in the bath and she'll be fine. All the chemicals can strip the oils they need from their feathers over time. Good luck!!!!! 👍

Back
Top Bottom