How to bathe chicks/chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lyndatu, Nov 30, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    I have 5 chicks in the brooder, all of them are 1.5 weeks old. They're getting bigger and bigger and they can empty the feeder in less than 24 hours. I can see some of them starting to get dirty. How do you bathe chicks or chickens? How often?

Thanks in advance!

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Typically we don't bathe unless preparing for a show. If your chicks are emptying their feeder you need to get them a bigger one. If they are making a mess of their brooder then they are ready for a bigger one. And finally to help them stay clean bed with fresh pine shavings about 3 inches thick so that they can dust bathe. Be sure and change the litter at least once a week.

3. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    What about 3 week old Silkie's that are stepping in their poo and getting it stuck to their foot feathers? And they stink! They only hav paper towels for the bottom of the brooder right now. I read they need soft bottom stuff.

Oh I have 5,000 cotton balls, that would be soft and absorbant! LOL

Any suggestions?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Three weeks... They only need paper towels for 3 days. Fill it with wood shavings and it should be fine.

I hope the other chickens are not cornish x's or meat types to be emptying a 16 hole feeder at 2 weeks old...

5. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Thanks! What kind of wood shavings would work? Hamster bedding? Would that be ok? When I read soft I guess I was thinking soft and fluffy! LOL

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Any bedding type wood shavings would work. hamster shavings are fine, be expensive compared to regular bulk pine shavings from the feed store though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by