How to become best friends with your roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens44, Jan 2, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Me and my rooster, Duke were the best of friends 3-4 months ago, he would follow me around like a puppy, play fetch (haha) come to his name etc. Now hes 8 months and doesnt want anything to do with me besides scatch, mash.. food. He is starting to fight me, thinking he owns the flock, top dog. I dont want to get rid of him, but im starting to think about this stuff. I would like to try to work with him spend more time with him make him love me again and be nice.

Any suggestions?

( I figure I would give him tell the end of spring to get his act together, and if that isnt long enough then I guess my moms friend out enjoy stew... and Id enjoy a new rooster, But I havent gave up on him yet )

2. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    What you want is a rooster that doesn't attack, does well with his hens and is friendly to you. If you want a lap pet that plays fetch you should get a dog. I mean this seriously and not to be mean. I hate to think of a roo, who is still a good guy but is a little less friendly towards you as he ages go to the stock pot. If you are wanting to get a new roo every 8 mo. or so go ahead but this is a teenager adult stage. If you want a good roo treat him as a friend and not something to be dominated. Expecting it to behave in a way that is not natural to it (He was meant to BE followed by his hens and not follow a human) is not going to make him love you. It is going to make him feel like he is being dominated, in a bad way, and he will become aggressive. Let him be a chicken.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I know that others have had somewhat different experiences than i have, but i have to say that i don't want to be best friends with my roos. It seems that when they're so familiar with you, they get the feeling that they can subdue you. That's where the attacking comes in. They're challenging you for "top dog." I'm not afraid of my roosters, but i do not cuddle them or hold them or be super chummy with them. They are very well behaved, and they do their job, and we get along just fine.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I haven't had my cockerel for very long. I got him to protect the girls & fertile eggs. My thoughts are let him do his job. I'm not interested in being his best friend . I do let him know that I'm still in charge though.Don't ever fear your roo he will sense your fear.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm with everyone else. Roosters are not cuddly. They can become extremely mean, when you think you are above them and they won't hesitate to attack you every chance they can, even chase you or others, had it happen. The roosters I have now don't mess with me. So I finally found the right ones. good luck

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My roos were all friendly as youngsters. I could cuddle and hold them. Now that they are adults, I don't try - I let them do their jobs as guardians of the flock. Occasionally I will catch one to check him over for injuries, lice, etc. Since they were tame as young, they don't try to fight me when I catch them, but they would just prefer to be left alone.

My light Brahma roo, Rocky, thought he could start attacking me. One day last summer I gave him a bath because he was looking kind of dirty and had some poopy butt feathers. I guess my tickling his manhood during the bath cured him because he hasn't approached me since!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Being all huggy pie kissy poo with these young Roosters is the main reason they become combative as they mature, if you do your job and just care for them well they will be better for you and your flock in the long run. The best advice I could give is if you want a great rooster who doesn't flog you, don't try to make it a lap pet when it's young.

AL

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    But even if you aren't afraid of your roo, he may still attack. My rooster (a beautiful SLW), attacked me twice. Then he began attacking ex-BF. Ex-BF kicked him all over half an acre, several times. Did not stop the roo. Then, when my son moved back here, the roo started attacking him after a few weeks. DS would kick him away, up-ended a bucket on him once.... Rooster would stalk my DS across the yard when he'd come outside.... Rooster was mighty tasty....

9. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I have not found a cure for a truly aggressive roo. You may be able to adjust his attitude with a grain shovel, kick in the pants, whatever, or you may not. It sounds like he is trying to take over. Never back down, or turn your back on him. The aforementioned grain shovel is a good choice for cooling aggressive roos. It may work, or it may not.

10. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My roo started the same thing. He loved me for months, came to his name, jumped on my shoulder and cuddled...then he turned 6 1/2 months. He is the dominent roo in my flock and has just started to try to challenge me. The advice i was given was he is reaching a teenager stage, you have to be the parent when he tries to challenge you...do not back down. He steps towards you, you step towards him. He has to be a little scared of you to know that you are dominent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by