How to begin letting old and new chickens free range together

TLobin

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2020
Hello!
I have 3 2 1/2 yr old hens who have always free ranged. I now have 10 3 1/2 month old hens and one rooster. Can anyone please tell me when is the right time to let them free range together? They have separate coops and runs and have been checking each other out through the hardware cloth walls. I'm hesitant to let them all out together because I have no idea what to expect. Would rather not have to break up a fight.

What I'd expect to happen is that the young ones will very quickly earn to leave the older ones alone. The first time or two they get together the younger might get pecked but they'll run away and stay away. If they have been sleeping on their coops for very long they will return to where they usually sleep when it gets close to bedtime..

I can't give you any guarantees with living animals. It's possible one of your older hens is a sadistic sociopathic brute that only lives to hunt down and destroy younger chicks but really most are not like that. Very few are when they free range. What I expect to happen is that you come back on here surprised at how little drama there really was. Very, very peaceful.

If you are trying to combine them in a tiny space where they can't run away and stay away I'd have different expectations. But free ranging! It should be really easy.

Abundance is a social lubricant. Lots of space, lots of potential food should minimize conflict. Expect normal "pecking order" stuff - that will always be present as the social order rearranges, but if they've been seeing one another in the respective runs, and your free range area is both spacious and varied, I do not anticipate any trouble.

Try late in the afternoon. Let one group out, wait 15 minutes, then let the other group out. I would not expect too much conflict between the hens and pullets, might be a surprise for the rooster when the older girls are not quite as impressed with him as he is. They will come around.

I would just let them return to their own coops for a week or two, and what might happen, is a couple of them might change coops. I then just close the coop that I don't want them to use.

I would not be surprised if the rooster follows the hens back to their coop, but he might sleep on a lower roost or even the floor for a couple of weeks. Eventually he will make his way up there.

Mrs K

Let them out together. If there is a conflict or two, they will be of very short duration and you shouldn't need to break up any real fights.

A real fight is anything that lasts longer than one or two minutes. A little conflict is actually normal as they sort out the social order.
Thank you for your advise! Finally got around to letting them out together. Just as I suspected, the sweetest older hen let the young ones know who’s boss. She’s an ISA Brown and has been the most docile and friendly but when my Wyandotte stepped out of top hen role the ISA took over. She even showed my rooster that she is top chicken around here. Short spats and done. Thanks again!

Abundance is a social lubricant. Lots of space, lots of potential food should minimize conflict. Expect normal "pecking order" stuff - that will always be present as the social order rearranges, but if they've been seeing one another in the respective runs, and your free range area is both spacious and varied, I do not anticipate any trouble.
All went well when I let them be together tonight. Thanks for your help!

Try late in the afternoon. Let one group out, wait 15 minutes, then let the other group out. I would not expect too much conflict between the hens and pullets, might be a surprise for the rooster when the older girls are not quite as impressed with him as he is. They will come around.

I would just let them return to their own coops for a week or two, and what might happen, is a couple of them might change coops. I then just close the coop that I don't want them to use.

I would not be surprised if the rooster follows the hens back to their coop, but he might sleep on a lower roost or even the floor for a couple of weeks. Eventually he will make his way up there.

Mrs K
Thank you so much! I’m not too familiar with this site yet and am just seeing your message now. I did let the older girls out for quite a while and then the young ones. All went well. The sweetest hen I have told the rooster who’s in charge. That was funny to watch. Nothing that made me nervous. Thank goodness! I took the garden hose and was going to spray them if anything got ugly. I don’t want to see a bad fight nor do I want to break one up so I’m relived all went well. Can you tell I’m new to this mixing thing?🤦🏼‍♀️

I also have two coops and pens. Pens are 200 square feet.
I don't let Pullets free range till all are laying in the coop for a couple of weeks.
My newest pullets are 11 weeks old so it'll be at least a couple of months before I free range them.
I only free range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting.
My previous three flocks had minor skirmishes when they encountered each other when out foraging for a couple of weeks, before the young flock learned to not impede the space of the hens (get to close).
20210327_054304_resized_1.jpg

GC

I free range MUCH earlier than GC-Raptor (before 6 weeks, typically), but I also have a much higher tolerance for losses. and possibly more space for them to range in, which is helpful (abundance, social lubricant, etc).

Different situations, different management practices.
I have 10 acres for them to roam. Some is densely wooded and there’s a lake. The old girls hang around with the mowed area and edge of the woods. I let them all out together again about 30 minutes ago. So far so good. I’m new to raising chicks from 2 days old and mixing with older birds. I appreciate your input as I’m learning every day!

Back
Top Bottom