How to best deal with backyard chickens in the cold weather???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tltownsend, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tltownsend

tltownsend New Egg

May 2, 2016
    We are very new to chickens in the yard and this will be our first winter with chickens. Any suggestions for keeping them safe in the winter will be greatly appreciated.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, tltownsend, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Actually, in a draft-free but still ventilated coop, chickens fare far better in winter than in summer. But there are steps you can take to make it a more comfortable experience when Old Man Winter comes blowing in. Here's a link to the Housing and Feeding Chickens section of the Learning Center. Many fine articles are contained within and a couple pertain to cold weather poultry keeping. Should be useful to you! Best wishes! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am glad you could join the large, and ever growing flock! As redsoxs mentioned, winter is easier on chickens than summer, but there are some things we need to be aware of. I started this thread a month ago, you might like to read through it for some great advice, and feel free to ask any and all questions you may have!https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens. Also, if you are new to chicken keeping, a great spot to check out is the learning center! It has a wealth of information that you just might find helpful! And last, but not least, you may be interested in joining your state thread, the folks there have the same weather conditions as you, so they can tell you what they have done. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you Thanks again for joining, I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us and good luck with your new flock!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by