How to boil and easily peel a Quail Egg

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ottovan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ottovan

ottovan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    I keep hearing how hard it is to crack a quail egg and how not worth it they are. I know most of you already know how to boil and peel a quail egg(or chicken egg for that matter) so that it is easy to peel and it will make it taste better. But some people don't so I'll tell you the secret- that's not really a secret.

Easiest way to cook and peel quail eggs:
    Boil water with salt
    while water boiling gently drop in eggs when water returns to boil turn off heat, cover, and set timer for 17min(21 for chicken eggs just remember incubation days)
    when timer rings dump out water and add ice til eggs completely covered
    When eggs are nice and cold
    crack them by rolling them under your palms then then peel come off very easily in one movement(you'll have to practice on one or two to get this down)
    The eggs are not rubbery - very nice texture - no more boiling my eggs til they bounce.

Quails are definately worth it! I keep hearing about how much the grain is, mine eat very little layer, they eattwo day old bread, rice, watermelons everything really, you just have to start them when they young. Everyone has a bakery( they sell two day old bread by the pallets- I throw them in an old freezer) or restaurant or grocery store or old tomatoes or old melons on the vine( they do like mushy things!). Sorry another subject!

Ted Parker and Kaya1 like this.
  2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Sorry, but I beg to differ on it being that easy..........especially the shell coming off "in one movement". I've tried all sorts of alterations in the boiling process, but I've never had one yet that just comes off "in one movement" ....... (and I've boiled several hundred this summer).

Also, IMHO, I think the chicks need to start out on a commercial feed that has the suggested protein to get them off to a good start in body-building. Not to say that having a little treat every once in a while is wrong, but they don't get anything except high protein commercial feed from me for the first 3 months at a minimum. I think one reaps the befefit of the high protein feed, whether they process the birds to eat, or keep from reproduction. But that's just me........

Ted Parker likes this.
  3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Sorry, but I beg to differ on it being that easy..........especially the shell coming off "in one movement". I've tried all sorts of alterations in the boiling process, but I've never had one yet that just comes off "in one movement" ....... (and I've boiled several hundred this summer).

Also, IMHO, I think the chicks need to start out on a commercial feed that has the suggested protein to get them off to a good start in body-building. Not to say that having a little treat every once in a while is wrong, but they don't get anything except high protein commercial feed from me for the first 3 months at a minimum. I think one reaps the befefit of the high protein feed, whether they process the birds to eat, or keep from reproduction. But that's just me........

doing it this way most of my coturnix have started laying at 5 1/2 weeks all are laying at 6-6 1/2 weeks My bobs are still laying [​IMG]

I just tap the eggs on both ends and peel from the air cell end they are easy to peel but I boil mine in vinegar .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Ted Parker likes this.
  4. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We have found that the best way to cook them is by steaming.
    10 min in a covered steaming basket then dropped into cold water. Peeled shortly thereafter.

David

Ted Parker and Kaya1 like this.
  5. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I use a spoon to reve shells from hard boiled eggs and have never had a problem at all.

6. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    I'll sorry Randall, let me edit. I can take the shell off of a quail egg in one movement. Keep on boiling you'll get it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Ted Parker likes this.
  7. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    Quote:Need to look at a steaming basket first but I'm willing to try most things. As long as the egg taste good! I love frying them in butter too. I guess this is the wrong question to ask after the last remark but I've heard that quail eggs have no cholesterol - anyone know that for a fact?

8. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas

doing it this way most of my coturnix have started laying at 5 1/2 weeks all are laying at 6-6 1/2 weeks My bobs are still laying [​IMG]

I just tap the eggs on both ends and peel from the air cell end they are easy to peel but I boil mine in vinegar .

Never heard of that method, guess I'd better get out there and get some more eggs!

9. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    17 minutes???? really????

I poke a tiny hole in the large end of the egg....drop them in boiling water and boil for 4-5 minutes.....done and they peel pretty easily.

yallapilko likes this.
  10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:this is about how long I boil mine too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by