1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to boost egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donnigan, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    Out of my 60 hens and 2 ducks i am getting about 4-6 eggs a day. I feed them scratch, removed the rooster, and have a artificial light so they can have 14 hours of light a day. What should i do? Thanks

2. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    They may have insufficient calcium, i would either put out oyster shell or start feeding them layer pellets. Do they free range? Have enough space?

I have 9 hens and feeding them layer and free ranging them gets me 7-9eggs a day.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You're only feeding them scratch?
    If so, not enough protein, vitamins/minerals would be my guess.

Are they free range?

How old are they?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016

Their feed consists of whole corn, scratch and layers pellets. Yes, they have enough space. I used to free range them in my back yard all day but we are having a lot of trouble with hawks so i keep them in their pen. The pen doesn't have any grass so i have been letting them out in the yard a couple hours before dark and just staying outside to watch for hawks. Could the cut back of grass be decreasing egg production?

5. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    It could def be the cut back on grass and bugs and the change of being penned when they are used to free ranging could do that too. I know mine lay better when they free range vs the day/days they dont

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, not enough protein, vitamins/minerals would be my guess.
    Layer pellets is usually minimal protein levels...and the corn and scratch is further diluting the vitamins/minerals in the feed

The stress of being newly confined could contribute to lower production....
    .....especially if the enclosure is crowding them, knowing the feet by feet size of coop and run and number of total birds would help in determining that.

If they are older than a year, they may be getting ready to molt.
    If it's really hot out can be a factor also.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are they?

How long as production been low?

What breeds are we talking about?

I'd pull the corn and scratch. Go to just grower or all flock, something with more protein. Offer oyster shell as they like.

With making these changes, you'll also have to be patient. It may take a month or so for production to step up, if it's a nutritional issue.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    x2
    Layer feed is intended to be the primary source of nutrition. Cutting it with grains or scratch will dilute the necessary nutrients needed for production. If you insist on cutting the feed with corn and scratch, be sure that the feed has a high enough protein content to compensate. At least 20% or higher for that kind of feeding. And a calcium supplement like crushed oyster shell should be available at all times. Or you can just save yourself time and money and just feed them layer pellets, and only layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by