How to break a broody silkie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmilyAK, Nov 4, 2016.

1. EmilyAK

EmilyAK Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2016
    Hello, I need some help breaking my broody silkie. She went broody about two months ago, and I have been struggling ever since to break her. A few days after she first went broody, I put her in our broody breaker. She's been in there ever since, and she's still acting broody. She actually seems to want to brood in the broody breaker, whenever I take her out, it seems that she wants to get back in. I have tried to use the ice pack method, but I am not sure it is working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She does sound fair determined! Does your broody breaker have a wire bottom? That is usually effective in breaking broody hens, as it makes it very hard for them to maintain their slightly higher broody body temperatures.

3. EmilyAK

Nov 4, 2016
    Yes, the does have a wire bottom, and is approximately 1/2 foot off the ground. Do you think it would help if I lifted it a bit higher? Also it is inside our chicken coop, which is warmer than outside, but still slightly cool. I thought that would be OK, but maybe she'd be better outside? The broody breaker just isn't that predator- proof, so I'd rather not have her outside.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That sounds adequate (except for exceptionally determined broody hens apparently) Goodness, I don't know what else to suggest, short of giving her some eggs or chicks, so she can get it out of her system. Know anyone that needs an incubator? LOL

5. EmilyAK

Nov 4, 2016
    Normally I'd be fine with giving her eggs or chicks...but as it's getting colder outside I don't think it's the best idea to have chicks in the winter. She seemed a bit less broody today...I put her outside for the day, and so far she hasn't done too much brooding. She only sat herself down once, so who knows? Maybe the ice pack did work? We'll have to wait and see...thank you for your suggestions!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there EmilyAK, she definitely sounds like one determined broody.

I find having my broody breaker away from the coop works best. However, like you, I do not trust it as totally predator proof so, at night, I take the broody out of the breaker and pop her on the roost with the others but also ensuring the nest boxes are blocked off. In the morning I get out there early and pop her back in the breaker and open up the nest boxes for the others.

This not only keeps her safe but also gives her a chance to mingle with her buddies.

If I am outside with them, I close off the coop and let the broody free range with the flock. That way I can let in any hens that genuinely need to lay and keep her out. Ranging with the flock can sometimes help with taking their mind off being a mumma.

My girls like that scenario because some of my crazy broodies like to pretend that the flock are their babies and call them over for treats [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. EmilyAK

Nov 4, 2016
    Ok, good ideas. I might end up trying those is she doesn't stop in a few more days. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by