How to breed a Frizzle.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Coleman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    I have a been given a very handsome frizzle rooster who is now of breeding age. He is a bantam cochin frizzle and I have bantam cochin hens.(smooth feathered) I have read that you should breed frizzles only with smooth feathered breeds and 50% of them will be frizzle and half will be smooth feathered. Is this correct? If I breed him with my cochin bantam hens could I get some frizzles? Also, I have a Polish hen and I saw the most amazing chicken I have ever seen, a frizzle polish!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Could I breed my frizzle with my polish and get frizzle polish???

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Frizzled X your current cochins will give you roughly 50/50
    Do not breed a frizzle X frizzle you can breed smooth birds from frizzle breedings to an actual frizzle and thats OK - just not 2 actual frizzles to one another, creates bad feathering, even nakedness.

As for the polish, if you cross your cochin frizzle you will get crossbreeds (mutt chickens ;) ) but yes some will be frizzled. But they won't look much like polish. If you want frizzled polish I suggest you find a frizzled polish to use for breeding :) there are plenty out there, usually lots of extra roos for decent prices.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    Awesome! Thank you. I'm so exited to breed em' with the Cochin girls. I actually think one of them went broody this afternoon. She is on my current buff Brahma bantam hens nest. She went broody a few weeks ago and has two little ones :) she is pretty low on the pecking order though, so she is sleeping besides the nest :) poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by