How to breed araucana's?? Araucana experts NEEDED!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rirbrahma, Nov 13, 2011.

1. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I've read alot and heard about lethal genes, Lopsided tufts, no tail with part tail, clean faced, And I'm LOST!![​IMG] Haha
    Should I be able to breed these without alot of trouble?
    A local breeder offered me 3 hens and 1 roo to pickup tomorrow. I saw them and they have tufts and don't have tails. are these real? He said he got his breeding stock from the mainland.

I DESPERATELY need HELP!! [​IMG]

thank you!!

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    i wish i new [​IMG] did you look at the breed page on BYC

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It sounds like they are the real thing.

Breeding for tails: Select rumpless breeders, they might throw some tailed, or partially tailed birds, just keep the rummpless for breeding.

Tufts: ArrrGGG, tufts. You need at least on tufted bird for breeding. Balanced tufts are hard to come by, breed your best. Breeding tufted to tufted will result in approx 25% dead in the shell at about day 18 or so. Tufted to clean faced gets about 50%-50%, just keep refining.

Start thinking about feather and leg color, comb size and shape, and you will have your hands full.

[​IMG]

4. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    So I understand it is lethal, but why? I understand genes but this one makes me pull my hair out....

5. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Quote:Exactly!! hahaha

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Very cool opprotunity! If you want the breed, go for it! If you saw them in person and they were rumpless and tufted, you likely have the real deal! Once you get them, you can figure out what you need to breed to improve, such as color, egg color, whatever it is. Have fun with them!

Quote:Can't really answer as to why it is lethal. Sometimes a trait just causes a condition that is unfavorable to life.

Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R. D. Crawford has a ton of information on the various lethal alleles that show up in domesticated chickens. Chapter 11 is specifically for addressing lethal traits. You can read some of it online .

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    There are a number of genes that are lethal. Each parent expresses the gene and carries the non-lethal version in this case. If the chick receives the lethal gene from each parent, it will not survive. If it the lethal gene from one parent and the non-lethal from the other, it will express the gene, the same as the parent. If it receives the non-lethal from each parent, it will not have the tufts.

For simplicity Tufted (T) x Non-tufted (NT).

If both parents have tufts, they will both be T/NT.

If the chick receives T from the roo & T from the hen, it will die 25%
    If the chick receives T from the roo & NT from the hen, it will have tufts 25%
    If the chick receives NT from the roo & T from the hen, it will have tufts 25%
    If the chick receives NT from the roo and NT from the hen, it will not have tufts 25%

So breeding tufted to tufted will give you 25% non tufted chicks, 50% tufted chicks and 25% chicks that will die in the shell.

Breeding tufted to non tufted will give you 50% of each. Whichever gene the tufted parent provides will govern the appearance of the chick, the non-tufted parent can only provide a non-tufted gene.

The dwarfing gene works the same in rabbits. In rabbits will be born (referred to as a peanut), but it will die within days.

Unfortunately, the gene that causes dwarfing in humans is the same.

Deb

Dang, I have a bunch of typos, but I'm too lazy to fix them.............[​IMG]......I think you get the concept though

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  8. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Quote:PHEW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] You made things alot easier. [​IMG]

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Tufted x tufted = 50% tufted, 25% cleanfaced, and 25% dead in shell
    Tufted x cleanfaced = 50% tufted, 50% cleanfaced
    Cleanfaced x cleanfaced = 100% cleanfaced

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Quote:Tufted x tufted = 50% tufted, 25% cleanfaced, and 25% dead in shell
    Tufted x cleanfaced = 50% tufted, 50% cleanfaced
    Cleanfaced x cleanfaced = 100% cleanfaced

Yeah, you just repeated what I said. The percentages I quoted were of the total number of eggs/chicks. But maybe your way was clearer...............at least to you it was [​IMG]

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by