How to breed for Calico Chickens

Dalea

Hatching
May 4, 2018
Does anyone know in "LAYMEN'S" terms what 2 chickens (colors) are needed to start breeding Calico Cochins? I'm new to breeding so I could also use info on help with breeding as far as what to breed to get a certain type of chicken. I have some calicos & black/white right now and want some additional calicos. 1st time posting:)

PS ALSO what 2 colors make a Lavender...Black & .......

Welcome to BYC!

You need two lavender chickens or two chickens that carry lavender genes to get lavender.

Lavender is a recessive dilution of black. All Lavender chickens are black chickens, but with two genes that dilute black into lavender. You need two diluting genes to get lavender; if you only have one, there are no visible effects.

If you cross a black chicken with a Lavender chicken, what you will get is 100% Lavender splits, which will be black, but carry the recessive Lavender gene. If you breed those splits together, you will get 25% black non-splits, 25% splits, and 25% lavender chickens.

Lavender phenotype: E/E bl+/bl+ lav/lav
Black Phenotype: E/E bl+/bl+ Lav/Lav
Split (appears black): E/E bl+/bl+ Lav/lav

(E is the solid color pattern gene. bl+ is black. lav dilutes black to lavender. Lav does not dilute black to lavender.)

As for Calico, give me half an hour to figure it out.

Apparently, Calico is Millefleur that has been successively bred until there's too much white for it to really look like Millefleur. You can't cross two colors to get Millefleur without a lot of trial and error. I would just buy Millefleurs.

Welcome to BYC!

You need two lavender chickens or two chickens that carry lavender genes to get lavender.

Lavender is a recessive dilution of black. All Lavender chickens are black chickens, but with two genes that dilute black into lavender. You need two diluting genes to get lavender; if you only have one, there are no visible effects.

If you cross a black chicken with a Lavender chicken, what you will get is 100% Lavender splits, which will be black, but carry the recessive Lavender gene. If you breed those splits together, you will get 25% black non-splits, 25% splits, and 25% lavender chickens.

Lavender phenotype: E/E bl+/bl+ lav/lav
Black Phenotype: E/E bl+/bl+ Lav/Lav
Split (appears black): E/E bl+/bl+ Lav/lav

(E is the solid color pattern gene. bl+ is black. lav dilutes black to lavender. Lav does not dilute black to lavender.)

As for Calico, give me half an hour to figure it out.
Whoa cool

Back
Top Bottom