How to breed specific rooster and hen??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Jan 12, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I just had a cockerel reach maturity. I have another roo who is about a year older and has been mating with my group of buff Orp hens for awhile already. I also have a group of various colored orp pullets who have just reached maturity.
    Is it possible to ensure that the older roo keeps his same harem and that the younger roo takes just the younger group of ladies? They have all been living in the same large coop peacefully and sharing a yard where they free range everyday.
    Will these groups happen naturally? They already seem to stay pretty segregated.
    I am just wondering if these Roos will go out of their way to try to get all the ladies?

Thanks!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you want to be 100% sure, you'll have to separate them so there is no contact between the two flocks. Separate coops, pens, and free range time.

3. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

So no matter what, with more than one group, the Roos will try to mix and match?
    Does it matter who the dominant roo is? I don't care if the new roo intermingles, but the other roo is a bantam mix (the only bird I have that isn't an Orp) and while I wouldn't mind a cute hybrid surprise, when I hatch out I would prefer mostly pure orps lol

Also, in case you are wondering, my random mix roo was just our very first bird and more like a pet, which is why he is different lol

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When I had more than one rooster, although they both had their own harems - their choice, not mine - they all roosted in the same coop at night and free ranged during the day - there was always some attempts at mixing and matching. Every now and again, the less dominant rooster made an attempt at becoming "The Man".

5. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Ok that sounds like what at be transpiring with mine. I highly doubt my little roo will be dominant for long. My "baby" roo is way bigger. They (knock on wood) have not had a single fight, but the baby is just starting to rev up his newfound hormones. So I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have a roo, a Motted Houdan and he wants every thing [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Just make sure you keep an eye on them when the power struggles begin. My experience with bantam roosters is, they don't always know when to quit. So if you see your "baby" rooster beating the snot out of him, you may want to separate them anyway.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Reminds me of a story Gritsar told. She had two roosters, a dominant Brahma and a subordinate naked neck (Turken). They slept in two separate coops and generally stayed apart during the day, each with his own harem, but they were allowed to free range and could get to each other during the day. She hatched three eggs from the Brahma’s flock. Two of them were fathered by the naked neck although it was the other harem and the Brahma was dominant. That was pretty obvious. So yeah, either rooster could be the father.

Good luck!

9. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Thanks for the heads up!

10. ChickCrazed

ChickCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    I think if they are all kept together, one will naturally become dominant and get all the hens, and the submissive one will only be able to breed on the sly (if at all). Normally they work this out with minimal damage, but if one is much larger than the other I would worry. As others said, you will need to separate them for them to each have his own harem of lady friends :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by