How to breed SPLIT TO LAVENDER?

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. I have two Lavender Orpington Roos and a splash hen, a blue hen. I know people breed their black hens for a "split black/Lavender. But can you "split splash/lavender" or "split blue/lavender"?

If so, then I breed the siblings back to each other and hope for some Lavenders to hatch? What would be the % of Lav's out of the hatch?

Thank you for any help!

It is not recommended to breed to splash or blue because of the similarities in the blue and lavender colors. A very poor blue could be misidentified as a lavender when in fact it's just a poor blue.

It could put you in a situation where you could unwittingly sell someone a lavender that is not. There are ways to determine if it is blue or lavender, but I wouldn't want to put myself in that position.

I would suggest finding a nice black bird to breed your lavender to. All the offspring will be black carrying the lavender gene as it takes to copies to express itself.

Thank you! I never thought of that. And you are right, I have read alot of discussions on "is it blue or lavender"... Rats!

pips&peeps :

It is not recommended to breed to splash or blue because of the similarities in the blue and lavender colors. A very poor blue could be misidentified as a lavender when in fact it's just a poor blue.

Jean,
Is this the only reason not to ... because of the similarities, and possible misidentification? Otherwise, would it work?
Thanks.​

Quote:
Jean,
Is this the only reason not to ... because of the similarities, and possible misidentification? Otherwise, would it work?
Thanks.

While it may not seem like a " major " issue , to a serious breeder of lavenders it would be a major set back if the two parents were carrying blue and produced splash ; I think that is one reason behind it not being a suggested cross . To the blue breeder a lavender coming from two blue split lavender might also cause problems down the lines . Its not so much about the immediate results of crossing lavender with blue but the predictability of genotypes and identification of phenotypes is of concern .

I understand that the appearance of a blue or splash bird that is homozygous for lavender will be different than that of a lavender black bird. Only the lavender bird carrying no blue genes will be the even color mostly sought after. If lavender, blue, and splash are all you have to work with, and you don't think your lavender carries blue at all, go ahead and breed them. Half of the offspring of the blue birds should be black, and you can use them in your lavender project. Breed those black siblings together, and 25% of the f2's should be lavender. Or, breed them back to the lavender parent, and you should get 50% lavender chicks.

yep, that's what I was going to suggest, breeding back to the lavender in any cross gives you you lavender versions much quicker than split sibilings will, also you end up with stronger birds, especially if you have 2 lavender roos, breed 1 of them to get you f1's then use the other to breed to the f1 splits. Sibling crosses usually end up with weak chicks.
I am using this to breed the lavender into a lot of my d'anver colors. Just hatched my first lavender cuckoos yesterday!
You can also use this to replace black in colored patterns just like andalusian blue works over them, that's what I did in the cuckoo deal. Just takes some patients and keeping up with who's who.

Back
Top Bottom