1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to bring 2 flocks together....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fasschicks, Oct 15, 2013.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    We plan on picking up our chickens this weekend (first-timers). We are getting 4 chickens from one farm (2 EE, 1 EE/Delaware mix, 1 Giant Jersey/Silkie mix) and 2 chickens from another farm (1 Dominique and 1 Barnavelder). We were told to bring them home at the same time so that no one feels the coop belongs to them.

We are finishing up our coop this weekend and thought if we were almost done when we picked them up, we could put them out in a fenced in area in our garden for them to forage for a couple of hours before we move them to the run/coop. Would this be a good way for them to meet each other and acclimate to each other in an open area? Can you tell I am a dog person?

Also, I have heard that it is a good idea to lock the chickens inside the coop for 2-3 days so that it imprints on them where their home is. What is your opinion on this and can I do it with 2 separate "flocks" coming together? I don't want one group to be too dominate over the other or have issues with them picking on each other. And is this "locking up" in the coop or the run?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to make this as stress-free as possible - if that is even possible (for us and the birds). Thanks.

Fass

2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Lock up the run not coop

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Over all I see no problems other then the chickens from one farm maybe carrying an illness those from the other from were never exposed to before. Locking them in the coop and run for a few days assures they accept them as home before letting them out to free range. Yes a neutral territory works with chicken introductions as well as dogs, but are no guarantee of a peaceful introduction.

4. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks! That helps me a lot. I hope it all goes smoothly!

Fass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by