How to build a coyatie proof coop?

AppleCrisp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Hi. I have coyate around my house. And I know they come rather close to the yard, or are way in the back. You can hear them howling at night. How would I got upon builing a coop coyatie proof? Are there anyways to deter them?

We are tricky little buggers
tongue2.gif

Make sure you run and coop has a skirt of fencing at least a foot out and down all the way around. Doors latch securely and windows have heavy gage wire over them. If your run doesn't have a cover, consider a hot wire top and bottom as coyotes can and will climb.

Stay on top of it because they will keep coming back

Last edited:
We have coyotes aaallll around here, and never has one tried to dig in the coop near the house. I think if it was farther away from our back door they might try it, but we've got the back porch light, dog kennel/runs, etc....They're not gonna stand around and dig for 20 minutes with all that around. They're mostly scavengers anyway, I think.

A hot fence should deter them if they do decide to partake in some digging
wink.png

Being summer with plenty of their natural food around Coyotes can be easily detered. I use cattle panels with secondary wire attached to it for the smaller predators. A good skirting all around to prevent digging and a top to prevent climbers from gaining access.

Winter though is a different story and with food being harder to find they will work harder to get at your birds so just follow the suggestions given and you should have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom