How To Build A Homeade Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austincoopersilkiesies, Jul 14, 2011.

1. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    [​IMG]I Want To Start Hatching But I Dont Want To Pay 85.00 Bucks For A 6 egg Incubator That Dosent Turn The Eggs so if you guys made your own could you share prices and how you did it? And is it neccesary to turn the eggs?[​IMG]

2. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Please Guys Im New To This Help Me Please!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I would suggest going here to start

https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-incubator.html

You need to decide what you want to use and what you plan on as far as a budget.

You need a heat source and Humidity source. Decide if you Still air or forced air. So I would look over that page and get Ideas.

4. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    is it nessasary to turn the eggs?

5. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    yes its very nessasary to turn the eggs if the eggs are not turned, the embryo will usually adhere to the wall of the egg, and development will fail so try to turn atleast 2 - 3 times a day best 3 times once in morning afternoon and night

6. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    oh also put a x on one side and o on the other so u know that u've turned them us a pencil its better for them and MUST STOP turning them 3 days before they hatch

7. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Is There A Way To Make An Incubator That Spins?

8. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I don't know about the spinning part, they really need to turn over a bit, not go around. Someone else can help you with that. I'm going to manually turn mine.

But I have been working on a homemade incubator for the past week and finally got it to regulate to the correct temperature. If you look at my BYC page, the first part is my first incubator experiment that didn't work but keep reading. The bottom reconfiguration works. And I only had to buy 2 thermometers (Walmart $1.63 each, in aquarium section) and the water heater thermostat (Lowes $10). The rest I had around the house.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions...

9. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    P.S. Someone here sent me a pic of their egg turner. It was a picture frame with a piece of plexiglass in it, screwed to a long pole that was underneath it. I guess they put a hole in the side of their incubator and stuck the pole through it. Then you just put your egg carton of eggs on the plexiglass and then manually turn the handle from outside every few hours...

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Honestly, you will find far more info by using the custom search. I spent a good part of the winter months reading hundreds of posts on homemade incubators:

found a guy who made his own turner using a grid made of wooden slats. (Think Christmas ornament storage box).

many way to heat; thermostat recommended; many details to consider.

where to put the ventilation holes

ability to alter humidity levels.

IMO, read a bunch, try Miss prissy's page too.

GOOD LUCK and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by