How to build a roost or manure box for Silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I think I am fighting a loosing battle with my 3 silkies. They are just 8 weeks old and maybe they'll want to roost as they grow older, but for the past 4 days they have slept on the roost only 2 times. I don't want to rush out and build them their own roosting area if it's not necessary, however I do want to figure out what to do if I need to do it. And seeing how it will get harder for them to see as they age, I want to make sure they feel comfortable in the coop. I am looking for suggestions of what to use as a roost for the Silkies so they can sit above their poop and drop it into something.

Here's my set up - I have room under the manure board to build a second layer of roosts for them to sit on & I thought I might build another manure board situation like I have above - just on a smaller scale. Suggestions please.

This pic shows the silkies sitting at the top of the ladder on the edge of the manure board. Last night only the dark splash one stayed up there - the partridge & light splash one spent their night on the floor with one of the LOs. There is about 15" of room from the wire wall to the under edge of the manure board in front there. The base of the manure board is approximately 20" off the floor of the coop.
    [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My silkies roost on a 4 x 4 post laid down. It is nice and low for them and keeps them out of their poo. Cleanup is easy, since it's only one row of poop on the side of the post. Without the post, they would be on the ground.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Did you paint the post? I'm thinking of putting a cat litter box down with sand in it then fashioning a 2x4 across the top as a roost. Maybe that's overkill?

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well this is what I came up with - hoping it works out for them - they may not want to roost on it either.

[​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think that's a good idea. Looks easy to clean. No I didn't paint anything.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'll check tonight to see if they get up on it or if they just continue to huddle on the floor. If they go up on the roost up top I'd be happier - but my goal is just to not have so much poop on the floor of the coop, but instead have it in the sand boxes to scoop. I forgot I had old cabinets in a shed - so I just used a drawer from inside there since we plan to toss those cabinets eventually anyway.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well I'm glad I didn't invest a lot of time making the silkie roost. I checked on them at around 6pm and the two littlest silkies were on the floor with one of the orpingtons. But I just checked again at 7:45 after their light had turned off and I found everyone up on the upper roost. The silkies were smashed together on the edge of the manure box and sandwiched between Orpington chicks. Guess I'll just remove that sand box after all.

8. Brendap58

Brendap58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I haven't ordered my Silkies yet but already have a Roost made. It is about chest high with 2 by 4s cut in a couple of pieces. They start at about 6 inches off the ground and run up like a ladder. I hope they will get on it. How big do the Silkies get?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by