How to build an outdoor bunny palace?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Badhbh, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Our bunny is in a space too small right now. I'm wanting to build an enclosure for him, but he's a digger. I've filled in dozens of holes in the yard already [​IMG]
    Keeping in mind that i'm usually fairly broke, and can't build anything worth a poo, what kind of thing would work? I'd like to give him 10x10 of outside space, and of course he only needs a little inside. What i'm more concerned about is his digging. I was thinking of what was said before about burying chicken wire at an inward facing angle undergroudh, but would that stop a determined bunny? What about flooring the enclosure with chicken wire completely, then putting dirt on top?

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey! That is what I have been thinking of doing...I think it would work, too. I was going to cover the wire with mulch instead of dirt though. Only because Princess is white and she wouldn't stay that way long with all of the red clay we have here

3. EllyMae

oh, and I tried burying wire but Princess digs to China...I think I saw her with an eggroll one day...

4. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, from what i've been reading, a wire floor flush on the ground is the way to go.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My husband made each of our bunnies this outdoor hutch. It was not done here. We have 2X3 welded wire on the bottom so they can eat grass, but they stopped digging [​IMG] I wonder if yours is a girl, i think the girls do the digging when they wanna have babies [​IMG] I wish the hutches were a little bigger, but we wanted to be able to move them around easy to keep them from getting too much sun. Anyway, here it is

[​IMG]

6. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    it would need a wire floor to stop the digging but you must put alot of hay or strw on the wire floor so it wont hurt there feet..sorta make it like a chiken run say 6x6 with a wire floor and wire roof hay on the floor and some sort of sheltr remeber to bury the wire so nothing can dig in also

7. EllyMae

lurky, that is really nice. I think my bunnies would like that. Oh, and I think you are right about the girl bunnies being the worst because my boy bunny doesn't do that. Or maybe he just sits back and watches his "woman" do all the work, lol.

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Lurky, kudos to hour hubby. That's cool for a rabbit. Mine would
    enjoy that.

Males dig to mark territory and express bunny emotion.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Mine were all off the ground. Had a ground pen for play days. But, they preferred playing tag with the cat to digging.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my mom used a play house converted to a chicken coop for her bunnies, it was already on the property. all 4 sides of the run were covered in wire so they couldnt dig. there was a box with dirt in for them to dig and a large piece of pvc pipe for them to tunnel. Just be sure its big enough, one passed away because it got stuck in the pipe somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by