1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Butcher a chicken, by a rookie. G rated

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by the43k, Oct 22, 2014.

1. the43k

the43k Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Youtube sent my previous video to the adult section, so I edited for all audiences. Hope you find it helpful

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Nice job.

3. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    thx

4. TedSheckler

TedSheckler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Had to make an account after watching your video (Went to the "Unrated" version) and have to stress what you said about having a sharp and proper knife. For people both in regular cooking and butchering I have seen go with the $25 chef knife from the grocery store thinking that is their best option for a reasonable price but I am sorry they are usualy crap and lose what edge they have very quickly.

Look torwards bushcraft knife companys like Morakniv where you can buy a $9 knife like the Craftline Q Allaround model that has a razor edge or a little less disposable model from them or other great knife company's that can be easily maintained with a fairly cheap wet stone/strop for a life time with a little practice.

Also as far as the cutting if you cut right behind the ear at the jaw line you avoid the feathers entirely for the most part, With a good knife cutting in that spot you almost have to hold back from cutting too deep which is a good problem to have IMO.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I did not watch the video, but in case it is not covered, I find a pair of poultry shears to be very valuable. I use those to avoid cutting bone with the knife. It saves the sharp edge on the knife, which I agree is very important.

I cut my chickens into serving piece when I butcher, plus I save the carcass for broth, so there are several places the poultry shears come in real handy and save the knife edge.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Any knife will dull, even good ones. If you're going to butcher a bunch of birds, you either need to learn to sharpen quickly, or have a bunch of knives. I use a couple of cheaper coated utility knives, and keep a sharpener/steel on hand and sharpen as needed. I use one knife for the initial cut, and it gets sharpened/steeled every bird. The other ones get used past that point, and get sharpened as needed.

I don't use poultry shears like Ridgerunner does, but I keep a large cleaver on hand for dealing with bone. I tend to keep my birds whole until I want to use them - although thinking about it, breaking them up isn't a bad idea.

I had to self-teach - but I found this book extremely helpful/useful - not specifically for poultry, but just kind of on the tools required, how to set up a workstation, tool maintenance, and the thought processes involved - why you cut where you do- I bought it more because it has a huge section on sheep and goats, but it's a great resource.

http://www.amazon.com/Butchering-Po...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1414177410

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

It does slow the process quite a bit, but I use part for food for the family and at different times the other parts for broth. It's just personal preference and how we use the birds.

8. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Did you find the "R rated" that bad? Youtube forced the video into the adult only section. Thought that was a little overboard.

9. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Thanks for the tips… ;)

10. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Youtube tends to do that anytime anyone complains - and any time you talk about animals, there are complainers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by