How to calm a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Apopka Cluckers, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    I have too many roos in my coop and I'm aware of that but I can't seem to find a way to get rid of a couple and I really don't know which ones are the roos. I know I have 2 for sure in a 10X10 coop but opinions vary that 2 to 3 of the others are roos as well.

Yesterday, as I was refilling the water, one of the roos came at me and pecked multiple times at my hands and legs. He was even jumping like he was trying to spur me but he's doesn't have any yet. This is the first time that any of the birds have come at me and I picked him up, as recommended on here, and placed him under my arm while I was working but he just wouldn't quit. Any place he could attack me, he did.

Was he protecting his space? His ladies? Or maybe just saying "I'm the boss here so get out"?

Any advice would be great.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Sounds to me like it's a rooster. Usually the ones that attack people will not stop till they become soup. Some seem to have success with extra handling, but usually--- once a man fighter, always a man fighter. Just be sure to keep an eye on him and don't let him get at your face. A scratch on the hand or arm isn't serious, but a scratch on an eyeball definitely is.

One of the easiest ways to tell roosters from hens is by their tailfeathers. A rooster will almost always have downward curving tailfeathers, and a hen will not. You can also tell from the hackle feathers. A rooster's will be pointed, and a hen's will be rounded. Good luck!

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yup... the best way to CALM a rooster is to have him "loose his head"... with onions, celery ,salt, pepper, garlic.......

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Easiest way to tame a rooster is to hang it upsdie down by its feet until it stops struggling, then hold it normally. His attitude will completely change in minutes, and he will be the nicest roo you've ever seen to you

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    that never worked for me... usually as soon as you set them back down.. all you did is make it more MAD and he attacks again..
    in my experiance..

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Well it works for me every time [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cull that roo.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Difficult as it can be, Mahonri is right. Do not suffer a mean roo. They can be horribly dangerous, and it's not worth the feed cost when you have better ones.

Rehome if you can, but he needs to go, one way or the other. Good luck.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:I had several roos I was attached to but too many in the coop for the amount of hens I have...I had turned them upside down and it worked for some but not for others. I will not have a mean roo or any chicken on the place so I bit the bullet and gave the extras away...they ended up as freezer-stuffing. But I am amazed at the difference in my flock..everyone is so much calmer now. You won't regret getting rid of them.

10. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried picking him up and holding him upside down which calmed him down as long as I was holding him but as soon as I put him down he came after me again.

He also came after me anytime I picked up a hen. Basically, it seemed like he was telling me that they were his and to leave them alone.

If I get up the guts to butcher him than I will, otherwise, it's going to have to be rehomed.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by