How to calm down a rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gigi1147, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    [​IMG]Hello! I have two easter egger cockerels and they are both a little hyper, how can I calm them down? Also one of them bit and pecked me the other day. And I would like to know how to make them a little nicer.? Help![​IMG]

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    get rid of one of them and it will make the other more relaxed. it worked for me. my friend had 2 and needed to get rid of them so i took one and now they are both super calm and nice.

3. Gigi1147

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    That's the problem, I can't. I have fallen in love with them both. Haha they don't fight with each other really, I think the one was just playing, I don't know. Haha

4. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    ok good i have gotten atached my little roo and i dont think i can get rid of him either. so ill see if my older roo will be nice to him.

5. Gigi1147

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    :) thanks for understanding. :)

6. cibula11

cibula11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    My hens are the one that peck me...roosters still seem skittish around me.

If its not happening often or hurting you, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Try sitting out with them and offering them mealworms one at a time. Make so birds have to poke around you to find eats. Read a book or something to keep your attention off birds. If they peck you, then ignore them.

8. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    i dont think ignoring them will help. you need to teach them that pecking you isnt right. spray them with a spray bottle when they peck you then offer treats so they arent skidish.

9. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    even if its not happening often bad behavior must be corrected. if it doesnt hurt it doesnt make it ok. bad behavior only gets worse. when roosters peck you and you dont correct them they think they have dominated you. my roo tried bad behavior once by not going in after free ranging so i corrected it and chased him in now he goes in every night. even lead hens or non lead hens will try to dominate. again correct bad behavior or it will get worse and worse.

10. ageranger361

ageranger361 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    If you can't get rid of one, every once in a while you can chase after them aggressively to maintain pecking order. The issue is that you're letting them get to friendly with you. In cockdom there is no friendly. There's dominant and submissive. You must be the dominant one or they're never going to respect your boundaries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by