How to candle an egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlabamaChickenLady, Jan 23, 2011.

1. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I found 2 eggs today while cleaning the coop, that were buried under the straw. They didn't seem to be really all that cold, and I'm not sure how long they've been in there. How do I candle an egg to see if one of my hens have been sitting on it? I don't want to put it into the fridge if there may be a baby chick in there.

2. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    There is a really great sticky at the top of this forum for candling... You will need a very bright flashlight...

Goddess [​IMG]

3. HelenaJean

HelenaJean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    a cheap way to do it is get an old shoe box, cut a couple of different sized round holes in it, they should be about a quater of the size of the egg at it's roundest point. Making several different sizes will allow you to compare which candles each egg and each size better. Get a good torch (o flashlight as they're calling in America), put the shoe box over the top while placing the egg to sit in the holes. Candle from each side, and gentle turn it. If there's a chick forming it will appear as ether a dark patch, or if it's nearly fully developed, nothing but the air sack will be visible. If it's not fertile or not under a chook, you may see a yolk if the egg's white or thin shelled enough. If you didn't find a hen sitting on them, they're probably not growing a baby, but it's always fun to have a look inside to see what's going on.

4. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Well thank you HelenaJean. I will try the shoe box. I have one around here somewhere and I have a good "Torch" also.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Go Australia! I'm from Sydney [​IMG]

Anyway, back to the point, if it is a standard egg or colored darker, you may bot be able to see the developing chick as well, just fyi [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by