How to care for a hen with a respiratory infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoom Zoom, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Five of my six, 27 month old , hens have a respiratory infection. They started Baytril, 22.7 mg yesterday. I had to bring one into the house yesterday because she was so weak and the others were attacking her. She is a bit stronger today but still wheezing badly. I put her back with the flock this morning but wondering if she would be better off inside. It's obvious she is still weak and you can see her laboring to breathe. I am inclined to bring her back inside but don't know if she would be better off inside or out with the others - they aren't bothering her today. She is eating and drinking. I am keeping a close eye on the other hen. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    I'm sorry about your girls. I'm dealing with a sick girls now too. I would advise isolating her. This allows her to rest and be observed. Also allows you to see if she is eating and drinking, and see her poops.
    I would also advise, based on my recent experience and research, to be very careful with administering antibiotics unless you know for sure what you are dealing with.
    My flock tested positive for MG/MS, antibiotics will only help with secondary infections/ bacterial. It won't treat anything viral. Over administering antibiotics will create resistance, and there may come a time you actually need them to work.
    If you have the resources to have them tested, it's helpful to know what you're dealing with and how to treat.
    Best of luck to you.

3. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    get some mannapro medicated chicken feed and give that to them

4. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Thanks. I was just checking on her and decided to bring her back inside; she isn't well. She saw the vet yesterday and he gave me the Baytril and advised giving it to the other four who have a very light wheeze. I am reluctant to give antibiotics but this little girl needs help. He isn't an avian vet, nearest one is 60 miles away, so the only lab he did was a fecal plus fecal float because they have diarrhea too. Fecal didn't show any problems. If she isn't considerably better in a couple days I will load her in the car and we will take a trip to Jefferson City. Good luck with your girls too.

5. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    What is MG/MS?

6. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016

Mycoplasma is basically a type of slow growing bacteria. They lack a cell wall so do not respond to antibiotics. Super contagious and once infected, your birds are carriers for life.
    MG-gallisepticum MS - synoviae
    Symptoms-
    Sneezing, discharge
    Couch
    Swelling sinus cavities/ eyes
    Bubbly eye discharge
    Lethargic
    Weight loss
    Drop in production
    Problems standing/walking
    Similar to a cold.

Hope that answered your question?

7. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Whew! Glad mine don't have any of those symptoms. I brought Sadie in late morning and brought another,Chloe in this afternoon. She isn't anywhere near as bad as Sadie but is a little weak and was standing around tail and wings down, etc. They are both resting comfortably now. I hope, hope, hope both are better tomorrow. Runt325, I will pick up the MannaPro medicated feed tomorrow, Thanks to both of you.

8. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    OK, so reading through some of the other posts along with your caution about using antibiotics, I am concerned my chicks are being treated correctly. If I take Chloe, the sickest one, back to the vet and ask him to do blood work, what should I ask him to look for? My girls are the only chickens he has dealt with and he has always been willing to help in any way he can. If he doesn't come up with anything, I will take her to the out-of-town avian vet. I have an out-of-town doctors appt tomorrow so won't be able to take her until Thursday. Should I continue the Baytril or wait until we know what is going on although it is obviously respiratory. No symptoms other than wheezing and weakness. Today is day 2 on the antibiotic.

9. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    I think there are state agriculture vets/ sites your vet can go on. or Your vet can probably Google and find out what type of testing, I'd ask to test for all respratory illnesses viral and bacterial and ask for a mycoplasma test.
    In the meantime if continue the antibiotic for whatever length it advises. Much like people you need to complete the cycle.
    I wish you the best of luck and I hope it's not a mycoplasma, it's a difficult disease to manage.

10. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Thank you. I have never dealt with respiratory illnesses so have absolutely no idea what to talk to my vet about. This helps a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by