how to care for broody hen and hot to tell that she is serious....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by needo19, Jun 8, 2011.

1. needo19

needo19 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi , I am recently bought 2 silkies crossed breed(i m not sure the exact name of the breed), i only wanted to purchase a hen who will go broody. i went to a chicken lady who had hundreds of different breed of chickens, she advised me of these chicken as they tend to go broody very often.
    one of my hen, i think has gone broody but i am not sure about that. the hen is about 8 months old and i have somewhere read that the young broody hens can get off the brooiness after some days, is it true?
    I have discovered that my chicken coops started to have feathers and then after 3 days i have foud her in her nesting box and she has been sittin in it for whole day would not eat or drink . when i touch here , she does not move as before she used to run away. she does not make a lot of noice as i have read on the net that the broody hen tend to make noice when u touch her , but my hen pecks at me( excude my enghlish as its nto my first language).
    in the morning she runs out of the coop soon i open the door but when i come back from office i find her in her nesting box but in different box not the one she sat on the first day.
    I have built her a new house just for her and provided with fresh water and food all the time. i also has put 4 eggs underneath her and she is sitting on them. i know that shoul dbe letting her out once a day but i am scared that if i let her o she might go back to her old coop nest box and the eggs will get cold.

what shall i do and what should i not do

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My broody hen went broody for the first time at 8 months old. Luckily, I coaxed her out of it, as it was right before really cold weather hit here.

Then this spring she was partially broody until just a few days ago. I managed to break her out of her partial broodiness several times, by confining her for 4 days, but she kept going right back to being broody and is now full-fledged broody.

She is a sweet hen, quiet, not aggressive in her broodiness, but super determined, not eating and drinking much at all, I don't think. If she ever comes out alive, I'm going to keep her in the coop and run forever. I can't stand all this worry about her health that I am undergoing.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It sounds as if you are doing everything right. If you are truly worried about her health you can lift her off the nest once a day and place her in front of the food or water. She should sit there very still for a minute, then "wake up" and eat, drink, and preen. This is how I treat my broody. She has her own area but when I pick her up, I put her with the rest of the flock. Then I watch her and when she seems ready, I put her back on "her" nest in her little broody area. She normally is off the nest only about 15 minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by