1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to care for Duck attacked by hawk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ElisaB, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ElisaB

ElisaB New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    One of our ducks was just attacked by a hawk. She seems ok, has a few bite marks on her neck ( they appear shallow) that I cleaned with sterile water and gauze bandages. However, it did nick her beak and there is a small chip out of it. We have moved her and our other duck to a pen away from our chickens. She has calmed down and is snuggling with her buddy. Can I treat her with Neosporin? I do our dogs and cats. Should I be concerned about the nick out of her beak?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I do not know about the beak, sorry. My understanding is that Neosporin is fine as long as its just regular old Neosporin, the kind that does not contain pain relief.

3. ElisaB

ElisaB New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    I went to our local tractor supply and got Duramycin-10 to put in her drinking water and Red-Kote Aniseptic Veterinary Scarlet Red Oil Wound Dressing, to put on the wounds. She seems to be doing very well. I am concerned about her beak. It has a small splintered part sticking up and I am afraid that she might get it torn on something or aggravate the wound. I may go to CVS or Walgreens and get some medical super glue to glue the little flap down. Guess I will just wait and see what tomorrow brings.
    We moved her and our other duck out of the chicken coop, to a spare coop we keep for times like this. Last time I checked, they were snuggled down together sleeping.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Personally I would avoid antibiotics until you start seeing a need for them, especially if the wounds don't look that bad. I would only do Epsom Salt baths. I don't know if it actually qualifies as "antibiotic", but I do know that Epsom Salt soaks absolutely help to heal infected (and non infected) wounds. But I understand that given the circumstances of the attack, there's definitely a risk of infection. So I suppose that is your call. Red Kote... Don't know a thing about it. I *believe* (but do not quote me!) that in chickens, the red stuff is avoided, and the Blue Kote used instead, bcz the red looks too much like blood and so could encourage further picking from the rest of the flock. But I don't know about ducks. It sounds to me like your two are doing very well together and separating them would probly be very stressful on both. So don't do that if you can help it.
    HTH

5. ElisaB

ElisaB New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. Fluffy is doing awesome. I only had her on antibiotics for 3 days. Did not use the Red Kote, as upon reading the label more closely it stated not to use on meat animals. Kept the wounds clean and they are healing just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by