How to care for guinea keets?

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
Just got three baby guineas! I’m sooo happy. Sold some quail for them. They are so sweet and cute. My questions are: Do they need a heat lamp? Can I put them with chickens and turkeys when they are older? How do you sex them?

Just got three baby guineas! I’m sooo happy. Sold some quail for them. They are so sweet and cute. My questions are: Do they need a heat lamp? Can I put them with chickens and turkeys when they are older? How do you sex them?
Read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

Newly hatched keets should be kept at 90° to 95°F (measured at the bedding level) for the first week. Reduce the temperature by 5°F each week.

I never recommend having fewer than 10 guineas because they are a flock bird and do best in large groups.

I do not recommend raising keets with any other birds. All birds imprint easily. Imprinting the keets with other poultry removes their ability to understand that the other birds are not guineas. Guineas do not speak chicken or turkey and their manners change very much during breeding season. They can cause extreme stress to other poultry if they are sharing their habits of chasing, attacking from behind and pulling or breaking feathers.

Guinea Fowl forum

Back
Top Bottom