We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

How to catch a chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Manhen, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    OK, one of my 3 week old dominiques escaped and spent the night hiding in the shop where I am keeping the brooder. I left a bit of the lamp shining outside of the brooder and left a box, water, feed, and those white clover flowers the dominiques seem to love so much. Ideas? Open the door in the morning and let her come out into the yard? (watching of course). My dog is very chick friendly.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    Spotted her this morning. I backed out of the building so as not to spook her. I think if I let her outside I could catch her.

3. NoodlesMama

NoodlesMama Chirping

May 3, 2019
    South East Michigan
    When my chicks were small I used a butterfly net to gently scoop them up in they got out. A fishing net works too for older chicks and adults. Mostly it gives you a rang advantage they don't see coming if I more slowly it works most of the time for me. One of mine was spooked to badly for the net after a hawk attack so we lightly tossed a very light weight piece of cloth over it to slow it down after nothing else worked we caught it that way unharmed.

Manhen likes this.
  4. NoodlesMama

NoodlesMama Chirping

May 3, 2019
    South East Michigan
    Oh and good luck catching your chick!

5. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    did , ok now

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Have you tried holding another chick to help to attract her to you? It seem's that chick's like to be together.

7. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    I use a crabbing net, but 3 weeks is young. Do you think it would respond to watermelon? Maybe you can leave a trail and lure it back home? My dogs are chick friendly as well, will your dog chase her to you or more of lay down and watch her?

8. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    Caught her in a corner under a shelf behind a floor jack. :)

twigcrafter likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: