How to catch an egg eater?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaBellaVita, Sep 5, 2016.

1. LaBellaVita

LaBellaVita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My pullets just recently started laying this past month, not all are but I'm guessing 3-5 out of the 8 of them. Two days ago I found a broken egg that was eaten, and today as well. There was egg shell left in the egg boxes that seemed to be similar color to the first offense. All the other eggs that have been being layed are going untouched. Is it likely the culprit is laying and then eating her own egg? Will the others start copying her? And best way to figure out who it is? I checked all their beaks for yolk or egg residue but found no trace.[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If the egg cracks when it lands they will eat it, so make sure there's enough bedding in the nestboxes. Keeping some ceramic eggs in them too can sometimes deter egg eating. You will have to spend some time observing them to see if you can at least figure out who's eggs is who's and potentially catch them in the act. A game camera can work too, just be ready for a lot of photos to go through.

I like to keep my birds on a non medicated grower or put them on an all flock for the extra protein, unless you can find layer with a higher protein 18-20% I wouldn't feed it. Sometimes egg eating is from a deficiency. Keep a separate bowl of oyster shells always available for the extra calcium needs.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Pretty hard to do...Unless you catch her doing it...?
    I never use fake eggs....I was not taught that practise...She is young and will not be so interested in her eggs once she has laid for awhile...Add more bedding to your nests. I use straw and shavings....Sorry to hear....

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They will eat there own eggs if they don't have enough calcium so give them oyster shells

5. LaBellaVita

LaBellaVita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone, they are being fed a layer pellet with 19% protein. And i do have ceramic eggs in the nest boxes. I will get them some oyster shell right away, hopefully this won't continue[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Was this the first day they started eating there eggs if so they should stop if they've been eating it for a long time they might just be in the routine but good luck [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes you can spot an egg eater because their beaks are covered in dried egg yolk.

I had an issue with egg eating a couple of years ago due to an old hen that had a hard time putting a shell on. I hung curtains over the nest boxes so that the boxes stayed nice and dark, just a small slit in the middle to slid into the boxes. Kept fake eggs in the boxes at all times and collected eggs as often as possible. And you know, it stopped the egg eating? Even the one that laid the thin shell or no shelled egg would get up and leave the box and let the yolk alone. When its dark in the box, they tend to leave it alone. And the others can't "cruise" for eggs either with the curtains, at least they are less likely to do so. To this day I keep curtains and fake eggs in the boxes, but I don't have the trouble anymore.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, did not see you did not provide oyster shell...? Yes. and start feeding layer pellets...

Good luck....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by