How to catch an escapee?

MedChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
Virginia (Zone 7)
So, I just brought home 9 new birds, and on their way into the coop one got away and has taken up residence in the neighbor's front bushes. She is a white leghorn and is very fast and slippery. I don't have a net, since my own girls are really tame. Any ideas how to catch her?

Thanks!!

Agreed.
It's SOO easy after dark and impossible in daylight.
After you catch her, make sure she stays 'cooped up' for a few days till she imprints on where to sleep then she'll come home every night with no chicken chasin' required.

The rest of them are cooped up - I put them in lockdown for a week with lots of regular treats and feedings so they learn where the treats come from!

I just successfully caught her. I got a 14'x14' piece of bird netting from the hardware store and dropped it over the bush, then the neighbor stuck a really long pole in there and chased her to the edge, where I managed to grab her legs and pull her out safely. She got her wings clipped on her way back into the coop
smile.png

The funny thing is, this gal has been at large for about three days. I tried sneaking up on her at night (she perched atop our 6-foot fence), and she spotted me and flew up 8' into a tree, then to another fence, into a different neighbor's yard, etc. She is blind in one eye, so I think she is a little extra skittish.

Now the netting is in storage for the next time, and everyone is going to stay locked in the coop for a few extra days and get their wings clipped, just in case!

Here's how I train my girls:
1. Day one - locked in the coop, food constantly full, more or less left alone to settle in
2. Day two through seven - locked in the coop, fed small amounts of food, accompanied by "Hi, guys! Dinner time!"
3. Day seven through fourteen - wings clipped, girls allowed to free range, water but no food made available during the day. About half an hour before sunset, I go out and call them to the coop ("Hi, guys! Dinner time!") and put feed in the coop, and they eat their fill and go to sleep.
4. After day fourteen - girls allowed to free range, water and food available during the day. Girls go into their coop on their own at night, I go out after sunset to make sure everyone is inside and close the door.

The girls that I have had since August are totally self-regulating. Unfortunately, this girl had been home for about 10 minutes when she bolted - we were in transit to the new coop.

Back
Top Bottom