How to catch black snake thats eating chicks?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I went to check on my 8 chicks this morning and noticed that there were only 6 chicks. I searched everywhere and couldn't find them. Later today I went behind the shed that they are in and there was a black snake sitting right behind it. :( We have snakes bad here. I don't want to kill a black snake but it's killing my chicks! We had one yesterday sitting behind my other chick pen and when I looked at it it bowed up at me. It's a dead snake now. I like snakes that keep pests away but I don't like when a snake becomes the pest. ;-; Is there any way I can trap it? If not.... how can I kill it? Again I don't want to kill it if I don't have to but I don't have many options...

Allsfairinloveandbugs

Free Ranging
Feb 10, 2020
Far north texas
How old are your chicks, and what type of housing are they currently kept in? Snakes are a huge issue for me too. The only sure way ive found to keep chicks safe is to house them in a cage or pen completely covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. I also make sure snakes cant slither under the bottom of the pen. I've been surprised in the past how little space a copperhead or ratsnake needs to gain access. A one inch space or gap is plenty large enough for a hungry 6-foot ratsnake .

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
How old are your chicks, and what type of housing are they currently kept in? Snakes are a huge issue for me too. The only sure way ive found to keep chicks safe is to house them in a cage or pen completely covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. I also make sure snakes cant slither under the bottom of the pen. I've been surprised in the past how little space a copperhead or ratsnake needs to gain access. A one inch space or gap is plenty large enough for a hungry 6-foot ratsnake .
They are only a few days old. They are in a shed with chicken wire over the front where the door was. They are inside of a big black plastic koi pond thing. I didn't think a snake would be brave enough to slither past my emu's but I guess they are!

roosterhavoc

Enabler
10 Years
Jan 5, 2012
I went to check on my 8 chicks this morning and noticed that there were only 6 chicks. I searched everywhere and couldn't find them. Later today I went behind the shed that they are in and there was a black snake sitting right behind it. :( We have snakes bad here. I don't want to kill a black snake but it's killing my chicks! We had one yesterday sitting behind my other chick pen and when I looked at it it bowed up at me. It's a dead snake now. I like snakes that keep pests away but I don't like when a snake becomes the pest. ;-; Is there any way I can trap it? If not.... how can I kill it? Again I don't want to kill it if I don't have to but I don't have many options...
Just grab it and chop it’s head off. Easy peasy.

45lk9p459gm-w

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
A 410ga works wonders for snakes and others ... but you gonna have to kill a lot of snakes before the baby chicks get grown. It would be a lot easier to just upgrade your brooder housing, as stated above, and leave the snakes alone. A snake is a little slow, but he will soon figure out that the easy meals have gone.

Allsfairinloveandbugs

Free Ranging
Feb 10, 2020
Far north texas
Bird netting over the top of the container should work. I would personally use 1/2" hardware cloth over the top just to be sure. I also temporarily suggest relocating the chicks inside your house until you can get a protective cover. I caught three very large ratsnakes in my nestboxes just last week, all well over 5 ft long. They come for eggs and chicks & follow each other's scent trail too, especially this time of year. I would take action immediately, otherwise by tomorrow morn you may have no chicks left.

cmom

Hilltop Farm
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I made a cage with hardware cloth to put my chicks in so that snakes and rodents can't get to them. 2'x2'x2'. I put a tray underneath that I put shavings in and their poop goes through the wire.
HardwareclothCage.jpg

Top Bottom