How to catch ducklings that are terrified?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I had a momma duck hatch out 10 ducklings last Saturday. They're the best and absolutely adorable, but thats way more babies then I can keep. I've found a home for 6, but 4 still need to be adopted. I found a friend who has a lone duckling that needs some friends, and she wants to pick them up next weekend. I didn't want to give them away until a month old, but if she only takes 2-3 it should be alright.
Anyway, my ducks are terrified of me, especially this momma. I've established a pretty good relationship with her, and she will let me watch from a distance. She won't hesitate to flog me if I try to grab one though.
My plan so far, is to open the door to let momma free range, and put cardboard up on the wire walls. She usually tells her babies to stay inside the run on the bank, so when she leaves, herd them into there little coop. Then, corner and throw a towel over them to reduce stress. Pic out the two going to their new home, and release the rest back to momma.
Do you think thats an okay plan? Any ideas on how to reduce the stress for them and momma is appreciated.
I'm also concerned about burning the bridge with momma as well. Like I said, we have a pretty good relationship, and taking her babies will ruin that. Ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

That sounds like a good idea to catch them when the mamma leaves, but throwing a towel over them would probably not be the best way to catch ducklings if you're trying to scare them as little as possible. Just gently picking them up after you herd them into the corner would be better, but I know it's not always easy. 😂 A flying towel coming at them will probably seem like something pouncing on them, but if that's the way you have to catch them I wouldn't be super worried about it. They might be a bit shy afterwards at first, but if you give the ducks some feed they'll get over it pretty quickly. :) Feeding your ducks out of your hand often and being gentle around them will help them to be friendlier.

That sounds like a good idea to catch them when the mamma leaves, but throwing a towel over them would probably not be the best way to catch ducklings if you're trying to scare them as little as possible. Just gently picking them up after you herd them into the corner would be better, but I know it's not always easy. 😂 A flying towel coming at them will probably seem like something pouncing on them, but if that's the way you have to catch them I wouldn't be super worried about it. They might be a bit shy afterwards at first, but if you give the ducks some feed they'll get over it pretty quickly. :) Feeding your ducks out of your hand often and being gentle around them will help them to be friendlier.
Awesome! Thank you!
I've always caught my terrified chickens with a towel, as not seeing helps them stay calm and they stay pretty still after the towel hits them. I see your point though about the pouncing part. I'll opt to leave out the towel and grab them by hand. Only other issue, is that momma isn't gonna go far, and babies loud peeping is going to have her running.
Until then, I'm trying to socialize them to me as much as possible. I haven't confirmed that the 3 will go to a new home next weekend yet, but if they do, I dont have much more time to socialize them. The babies themselves really aren't that scared, but when momma get nervous, so do they.
Thanks for advice!
Ps. My adult ducks are relay scarred of me. They're hesitant to come within 2 feet of me to get feed, so definitely not ready to eat out of my hand. I've been trying to get here for a while though, so hopefully we'll work up to hadn't feeding very soon. Thanks again! ☺️

Chasing, pouncing, and nabbing are unnecessary. With just a few minutes of training, you can get them to come to you on command. It's easier than training a dog.

I use a clicker I bought at the pet store for a dollar. I offer treats, something they can't resist such as meal worms, while clicking the clicker so they associate the sound with something good.

It's lots of fun and just takes a few minutes. In less than three days, you can just signal the ducklings to come to you, to trust you enough to take the treat from your hand, and graduate to touching and handling them.

Where does she sit at night? Would you be able go up to her then? It works with flighty chickens. I have never tried with a duck. ( although I do have a duck that I can go up to if she is sitting on eggs or young, but would not be able to normally)

Chasing, pouncing, and nabbing are unnecessary. With just a few minutes of training, you can get them to come to you on command. It's easier than training a dog.

I use a clicker I bought at the pet store for a dollar. I offer treats, something they can't resist such as meal worms, while clicking the clicker so they associate the sound with something good.

It's lots of fun and just takes a few minutes. In less than three days, you can just signal the ducklings to come to you, to trust you enough to take the treat from your hand, and graduate to touching and handling them.
I'll give this a go, though the problem is that momma duck is terrified. The babies not so much, but when momma quacks, "thats a predator" they listen. Do you think this training would work on momma duck to?

Where does she sit at night? Would you be able go up to her then? It works with flighty chickens. I have never tried with a duck. ( although I do have a duck that I can go up to if she is sitting on eggs or young, but would not be able to normally)
Her and babies sleep in the coop, it wouldn't be to hard to get to her. Though she'll wake up fast, and probably flog me to stay away from babies pretty quick.

It should work on mama duck too. Be patient. She's been around a while and may be slow in surrendering her suspicions. But when treats are involved, well, they all have their price.

Back
Top Bottom