How to catch my Bob Whites?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 7L Farm, Aug 10, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Well, I have 20 sold. I went out to the pen with my net but there's gotta be a better way. I'll post picture of my pen. I wanted to catch mainly roo's to thin them out. Man what a hassle. I caught them not really the ones I wanted. It really freaked them out & some got hurt in the process. Can someone suggest a better way? Thanks. This was my first sale for Bob 's. The coturnix are easy but the Bob's aren't plus my pen for the Bob's is big. I don't want to stress them like I did.[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Another way, other than the net is the quail recovery trap. Here is a link to a picture to these traps. I have never used this particular trap as I know a guy that makes home made traps and I buy from him. But this is an example of one. The trap is baited, the quail go in, but can not figure how to get out.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/quail-recovery-pen-trap.html

http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/quail-recovery-trap/pest-control-and-traps

Good luck in the catching of these guys. I have become an expert net user lately and can catch them on the wing. And yes, it does freak them out. Bait the trap with something really tastey, like cracked corn the evening before the selling of the quail, let it rest till mid morning and you should have a cage full. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I run after them with a net. [​IMG] On my wire pens I take a piece of wood and block them all into the end of the cage and then grab the ones I want.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    attack the enemy under cover of darkness... I gave away all the white bobss and red bobwhites I had, found it easier to catch them in the pen in the dark.

but, does not help during daylight hours.

actually, 7L, you got the skills to build a recovery trap right into your aviary!, like 2crows says, you can almost build a trap or "johnny house" right into the run...set up a "drive thru" window and your good to go. keep the food and water in the trap?, close the door when you want to catch some?

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SO HOWS THAT BIG OLE AVIARY WORKIN OUT FOR YA? [​IMG]

'ROUND HERE I CATCH 'EM IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS...#1 FISH NET WITH A DECENT LENGTH OF HANDLE...THIS IS MOST DIFFICULT METHOD AS THEY'RE WICKED QUICK AND OH SO SPOOKY LIL DUDES...

IF THEY ARE ESCAPEES I LET THE WARDENS DEAL WITH IT... I SIMPLY SAY 1 OF THE 2 LABS NAMES, POINT AT THE BIRD AND SAY "FETCH 'EM UP!" ...OFTEN TIMES I WILL DIRECT PARTS OF THE ENSUEING SHOW, BUT I DONT HAVE TO IF I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT BIRD SAFETY (FEMALE'S A TAD MORE AGRESSIVE THAN THE MALE...HE'S VERY SOFT MOUTHED AND THE RESULT IS A DOG THAT COMES OVER AND PLOPS A VERY BEWILDERED AND SLIGHTLY SLOBBER COATED BOB ON THE TOP OF YOUR BOOT)

PLAN B... 7.5 LEAD SHOT SLOWS 'EM RIGHT DOWN [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Sounds good can you post a picture maybe I can build one. Are better yet does he sell his traps.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds good can you post a picture maybe I can build one. Are better yet does he sell his traps.

The guy I get them from, a local quail breeder, builds them to look similar to the pic from the Strombergs chickens, however the tube is more horizontal. There is a flap opening on the top so you can reach in and grab them out. The only reason I buy from him as he is just up the road and I don't have to wait or pay for shipping. He sells his for about $75. Let me see if I can dig my trap out of storage and get a pic for you. [​IMG]

8. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

The guy I get them from, a local quail breeder, builds them to look similar to the pic from the Strombergs chickens, however the tube is more horizontal. There is a flap opening on the top so you can reach in and grab them out. The only reason I buy from him as he is just up the road and I don't have to wait or pay for shipping. He sells his for about $75. Let me see if I can dig my trap out of storage and get a pic for you. [​IMG]

Thanks

10. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i have mine in a small cage so i just put my hand in and grab them by the wings.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by