How to catch my ducks

Darwin27

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
Hi everyone im new to this and to raising poultry. I have a few ducks some call ducks a mallard a Indian runner a Welsh and a saxony theyve been their entire life free ranging and sleeping in the pond but winter is coming and i can't make them come in the coop is there some kind of anesthesia sedative or something that will help me catch them? Or any ideas how to thanks alot in advance

I agree herding works great - and a light pole with a flag on the end makes it even easier if they want to scatter plus maybe a warm mash with banana or other treats mixed in waiting inside (yeah my idiots aren't spoiled at all)

combine it with a time to go in phase and they will eventually start sending themselves in especially if there are treats waiting - ducks are 100% food motivated.

Definitely do not sedate them. They'd probably die.
It takes practice and patience, put a little food inside the doorway of the coop. Keep at a distance and slowly herd them towards the coop, if they start running the wrong direction then stop and slow your pace and adjust the angle you're walking from. You've pretty much got to pretend you're a herd dog getting his sheep to safety. Ducks herd much easier than chickens or sheep, I can tell you that ;) Open your arms while you herd them, it makes you appear bigger and they won't veer off the wrong direction as easy. Good luck

My duckies are afraid of the bright spot that an LED flashlight shines on the ground - longest arms and they can be moved at light's speed.
Giggle.gif

Definitely do not sedate them. They'd probably die.
It takes practice and patience, put a little food inside the doorway of the coop. Keep at a distance and slowly herd them towards the coop, if they start running the wrong direction then stop and slow your pace and adjust the angle you're walking from. You've pretty much got to pretend you're a herd dog getting his sheep to safety. Ducks herd much easier than chickens or sheep, I can tell you that ;) Open your arms while you herd them, it makes you appear bigger and they won't veer off the wrong direction as easy. Good luck
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom