How to catch my Rooster???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mikus, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Mikus

Mikus In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2017
    hey everyone! I have managed to rehome my 'fairly' aggressive Rooster, problem is I haven't handled him since he came a couple months ago, he's about 6 months old.....anyone one got any tips on how to catch him to put in a box for transport to his new home?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Grab him off the roost at night and pop him immediately into the box. Do this in the dark with just enough light for you to see what you're doing.

3. Mikus

Mikus In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2017
    Thank you, but I'm moving him today, may have to wait til the morning!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You can keep him in box overnight. I used to place birds in burlap sacks overnight for transport in bed of truck. Keep him cool when confined with good ventilation.

Mikus likes this.
  5. That means "Don't hang him up in the Sunlight while he is in a burlap sack." That will only result in a dead rooster.

Mikus likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    :th

7. BrahmaMom1797

BrahmaMom1797 Chirping

May 18, 2017
    My roo is getting rehomed too and he's not so much aggressive but a little spooked. He's easiest to get when turned away from me, but he's a polish roo and can't fully see me. I'd suggest trying to pin him in a corner and move as quick as possible to grab him before he can try flying at you. Roosters are always a bit more aggressive in action. Hopefully you get him easy. Maybe try a towel toss over him if you've got no luck first, might slow him down in movement if he's got little sight.

Mikus likes this.
  8. There is always the old stand buy, a chicken foot hook. It works night or day but if you don't snag him the first go round it becomes harder and harder because your rooster will trust you less and less.

Mikus likes this.
  9. Mikus

Mikus In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2017
    Thank you......fingers crossed!

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I use a fishing net which works well so long as the chicken is in a coop. Free range out in the yard? Not so well.

Mikus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: