We're in the process of 'ressurecting' one of our area's (Muskoka ON) original homestead claim farms. (our property titles date back to the 1860s) Our dug well is spring fed, and stone lined, but is not currently covered, and has probably been open for the past 10 years, just covered with some boards. The test results came back with a higher than acceptable coliform count; we're expecting to clear things up once its covered properly, and have a whole home filter and UV sterilizer....but that won't be for another month or so, as we're currently without power, and septic ect, and need to do plumbing ect. We're buying bottled water for ourselves, the cat, the dog and the adult chooks seem fine on the untreated well water, however I don't want to give it to the day old chicks we just got. I'd like to treat it with chlorine the way that municipal supplies are...but am not sure how much chlorine to use. I've put a half teaspoon into a 5 gallon pail and used it to wash my dishes ect. but it seemed more bleachy than what I remember municipal water to be. Does anyone know how many drops I should put into a 5 gallon pail and how long I should let it stand before serving it to my chicks?