How to choose a breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AussieGirl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    This might seem a silly question but I was wondering if their was a how to on choosing a good chicken breeder?The reason I ask is the next day or so I will be visiting a breeder thats a ways away and I didnt know if their is any red flags I should be aware of. I figured a good basis is how they raise and keep their chickens but is there any more than that?Any info would be appreciated.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:KNOW the standard of perfection for the breed you are looking at if you are trying to purchase show quality stock. Specifically, know what the disqualifications are for the breed you are interested in.
    You want to see the older stock to know what the younger will look like.

IF you are NOT INTERESTED in SHOW QUALITY stock.... Then you will be looking to see how clean the water is, how healthy the birds look, and how big the living arrangements are. You will be looking for lice and mites. You will be listening for respiratory issues - wheezing, sneezing, drippy or bubbly eyes, etc. You will be watching to see if any of the birds are staying away from the group, hiding, standing funny, etc.

Also ask what vaccines have been given to the birds, if they have been wormed ( when and with what product) and what they are feeding them.

If you feel one second's worth of hesitation or doubt, then do not purchase!

1 person likes this.
  3. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    thanks for the great info I didnt think of the vaccinations and deworming stuff. Im not looking for show quality im just looking for a good egg laying chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by