How to clean a chicken.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazy4Fowl, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I have a pet Mille Fleur chicken. She is very small, here breed is a bantam. She spends most of the time in the house or out side. We have her staying in a pretty big plastic box, not a clear box. She can't live with the big chickens because they hurt her. (If you have anything to say about how the big chickens hurt her please go to my other thread about that.) I clean hurt box weekly because it smells cuz of all the poop. I put her in the shower a couple times to wash here. It really didn't work, the smell still stayed on her (poopy smell) and unlike a duck she stayed wet for a while, so she sleeps in the tub overnight. IS there a better way to clean her? Heres a pic [​IMG]

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Wow, that is too sad you cannot place her with the other chickens as chickens are a gregarious animal and enjoy the company of the others. It would be so nice if you could build her a little run outside where she cannot be hurt by the others, but still enjoy the pleasures of free ranging somewhat. Whenever I had chickens that were sick and gave them a bath, not often I should admit, I cleaned them out with warm water and dawn dish soap. then I towel dry them to remove the excess of water and then believe it or not, I blow dried their feathers and voila!, like brand new and back to their regular sleeping box. Hope it helps.

3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Thanks for the info! We let her free range everyday in our yard. But at nite she is in her box. If she isn't in her box in the evening she is in with us, but when its time to sleep she goes in the box. One of our chickens, an araucana or easter egger likes Fluffy and they get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by