How to clean a chickens butt? uh i just found a bug crawling on egg..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxypoproxy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I have a silver laced wyandotte, shes pretty old and i noticed recently she has alittle bit of a messy butt area.
    It kinda smells and i'm thinking of giving her a bath...how do i go about cleaning that?
    what kinda shampoo or soap should i use? What do you guys do?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:If its a clumped area cut it off:) I do then I hose their bums a tad to make I got it all-sometimes their fully butts are too fluffy and catch the poo [​IMG]

3. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:If its a clumped area cut it off:) I do then I hose their bums a tad to make I got it all-sometimes their fully butts are too fluffy and catch the poo [​IMG]

Ya thats what i thought.
    We de-mite her so i know its not mites.
    Shes just really fluffy and i think she gets her poo stuck around there.
    How do i trim it? never trimmed feathers before. should i just trim off the nasty bits of feather then?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Ya thats what i thought.
    How do i trim it? never trimmed feathers before. should i just trim off the nasty bits of feather then?

As gross as it sound, I wear a tight pair of dish gloves-hold the chicken with her butt facing you and take my pointer and middle finger and hold the feathers like a tight scissor around the poopy area ( this way I dont cut their skin) sharp shears and off it comes-I take it right down to about 1 /2-all of it comes off. Sometimes they just cant squat far enough to make sure it hits the ground and not their feathers

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Ya thats what i thought.

As gross as it sound, I wear a tight pair of dish gloves-hold the chicken with her butt facing you and take my pointer and middle finger and hold the feathers like a tight scissor around the poopy area ( this way I dont cut their skin) sharp shears and off it comes-I take it right down to about 1 /2-all of it comes off. Sometimes they just cant squat far enough to make sure it hits the ground and not their feathers

ok, i'll try that!
    Thanks!

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yeah trimming is the best way, those clumps don't exactly wash off quickly. Plus the snipping prevents it for awhile afterwards.

7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I just found this black and white little bug with antenna's crawling on her egg.
    Its very small, is it mites? I de-mite her and her coop alot and after seeing it i did it again.
    so is it mites?
    i don't know if there is more or what they are but would that get rid of them?
    Would they be affecting her butt issue?

Also, we haven't been eating her eggs but what other precautions should we take to make sure they are safe to eat?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by